+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common law sponsorship- tax related query

Kiki1993

Feb 2, 2023
Hi guys how are you doing!

I moved with my girlfriend in march 2020 and I’m out of status at the moment. She got her PR on June 2020 as single. She didn’t change her marital status as common law as it had not been a year yet.
I didn’t do taxes since 2020 as I was out of status and was scared that cbsa would track me down if I did my taxes. However now that we are looking to apply for common law sponsorship we decided to apply for my taxes.

for the year 2020 my girlfriend had done her taxes as single as it had not been a year then. So now that I’m doing my taxes I had to change my marital status on CRA and it asked me what date we moved in and I wrote march 1 2020 and it was just now assessed and says that we are common law for the year 2020. Her taxes was reassessed for the year 2020 and says common law. I’m confused.

in 2020 we lived together starting March 1 and from then to December 2020 is not full months and how is craconsidering us as common law even though it hasn’t been a full year?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi guys how are you doing!

I moved with my girlfriend in march 2020 and I’m out of status at the moment. She got her PR on June 2020 as single. She didn’t change her marital status as common law as it had not been a year yet.
I didn’t do taxes since 2020 as I was out of status and was scared that cbsa would track me down if I did my taxes. However now that we are looking to apply for common law sponsorship we decided to apply for my taxes.

for the year 2020 my girlfriend had done her taxes as single as it had not been a year then. So now that I’m doing my taxes I had to change my marital status on CRA and it asked me what date we moved in and I wrote march 1 2020 and it was just now assessed and says that we are common law for the year 2020. Her taxes was reassessed for the year 2020 and says common law. I’m confused.

in 2020 we lived together starting March 1 and from then to December 2020 is not full months and how is craconsidering us as common law even though it hasn’t been a full year?
If you stated common law as of March 2020 then you are common law for tax purposes from that date according to CRA. IRCC defines it differently and two different systems.

Kiki1993

Feb 2, 2023
If you stated common law as of March 2020 then you are common law for tax purposes from that date according to CRA. IRCC defines it differently and two different systems.
I changed the marital status under the profile section and not while filing. when I was changing the marital status from single the CRA site asked the date we stated living together, which was March 1 2020. That’s what I wrote. For the year 2020 we technically lived together for 10 months. But on the assessment it says martial status common law for 2020. I’m not sure how they came up with that when we only lived for 10 months in 2020

Last edited: