+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common law sponsorship, submitting additional documents

Manpreetkmannu

Star Member
Jul 12, 2017
Hii Everyone,
Can anyone please help me in this case???

I sent application for PR under common law category on march 14. Actually what happened was I initially sent application in jan but i got it back because of missing signature.
When I sent back application I only updated the forms and signed the form. Did not include more proofs or anything.

At the time when application was first submitted, we sent proof of incomes statement for year 2017 as it was jan 2018 at that time we didn’t file tax for year 2018. As we declared our common law relationship in September 2018. We were not considered common law as of December 2018 (because we did not complete 1 year by then). Therefore, Proof of income statement showed my partner’s status for year 2017 as single.

But we attached screenshot of his CRA profile showing marital status as “common law”

I (principal applicant) filed tax for the first time in 2019 for year 2018. As i landed as international student in sep 2017.

For year 2018, we filed tax as common law partners on april 06, 2019 clearly after sending the application.

Our Proof of Income statements for year 2018 show our status as Common law.

Now for my application Background check started on july 16. And I haven’t yet received anything from CIC on additional documents or anything.

Now my question is shall I wait for CIC to ask me for additional documents. Or I should use webform and send recent Proof of Income statements issued by CRA anyway.

phaeo

Apr 27, 2017
Personally I would wait until they have actually requested any additional docs from you. They may decide they don't need to see any more proof and are happy with what you submitted. We got an additional document request when our application was still at Sydney, and the line in my ECAS said this: "We sent you correspondence on April 26, 2019. If you have not yet provided the information or the requested documents, please do so as soon as possible. Please wait until you receive the correspondence before sending us additional information, as the correspondence will outline all information that is required." So they specifically told me not to send anything until I had read what they wanted. My feeling is that sending more stuff unprompted might actually delay your application more than it will help.

Reactions: Manpreetkmannu

Manpreetkmannu

Star Member
Jul 12, 2017
Personally I would wait until they have actually requested any additional docs from you. They may decide they don't need to see any more proof and are happy with what you submitted. We got an additional document request when our application was still at Sydney, and the line in my ECAS said this: "We sent you correspondence on April 26, 2019. If you have not yet provided the information or the requested documents, please do so as soon as possible. Please wait until you receive the correspondence before sending us additional information, as the correspondence will outline all information that is required." So they specifically told me not to send anything until I had read what they wanted. My feeling is that sending more stuff unprompted might actually delay your application more than it will help.
Alright. Thank you so much for your reply. It is really helpful. So the best bet would be to wait.

phaeo

Apr 27, 2017
Alright. Thank you so much for your reply. It is really helpful. So the best bet would be to wait.
I would say so, yes. Either you submitted enough proof to satisfy them and everything goes through smoothly, or they're a bit unsure and request additional info from you anyway. Best to wait and see, rather than confusing them more by submitting extra stuff.

Manpreetkmannu

Star Member
Jul 12, 2017
I would say so, yes. Either you submitted enough proof to satisfy them and everything goes through smoothly, or they're a bit unsure and request additional info from you anyway. Best to wait and see, rather than confusing them more by submitting extra stuff.
I totally get you. After all, they are Visa officials and they are aware of the things like if we submitted file in jan 2019, we might not have filed tax for 2018 by then. And that’s why we were only able to submit Proof of income statement for year 2017.

Manpreetkmannu

Star Member
Jul 12, 2017
My application package weighed 2.70 lbs. lol. We pretty much submitted everything we could to Prove cohabitation and genuineness of relationship.
Rest is upto VO. Fingers crossed.

sunniemeng

Jul 8, 2019
Did you receive any confirmations or updates after you send your additional documents? By the way, is your additional docs is police certificate?

phaeo

Apr 27, 2017
Did you receive any confirmations or updates after you send your additional documents? By the way, is your additional docs is police certificate?
No, they wanted me to submit my most recent paystub with a year-to-date summary on it. I think they were confused about my job, since I moved provinces in January but still worked for the same employer. I submitted it through the web form and it took around a week for me to get an email that confirmed it had been received and was being forwarded to the right officer. Then we didn't hear anything for around 2 months until my husband got his biometrics request and I got the sponsor approval.

Manpreetkmannu

Star Member
Jul 12, 2017
No, they wanted me to submit my most recent paystub with a year-to-date summary on it. I think they were confused about my job, since I moved provinces in January but still worked for the same employer. I submitted it through the web form and it took around a week for me to get an email that confirmed it had been received and was being forwarded to the right officer. Then we didn't hear anything for around 2 months until my husband got his biometrics request and I got the sponsor approval.
When did you sent your application?? Which month and year??

PR_app

Star Member
Jan 19, 2019
Hii Everyone,
Can anyone please help me in this case???

I sent application for PR under common law category on march 14. Actually what happened was I initially sent application in jan but i got it back because of missing signature.
When I sent back application I only updated the forms and signed the form. Did not include more proofs or anything.

At the time when application was first submitted, we sent proof of incomes statement for year 2017 as it was jan 2018 at that time we didn’t file tax for year 2018. As we declared our common law relationship in September 2018. We were not considered common law as of December 2018 (because we did not complete 1 year by then). Therefore, Proof of income statement showed my partner’s status for year 2017 as single.

But we attached screenshot of his CRA profile showing marital status as “common law”

I (principal applicant) filed tax for the first time in 2019 for year 2018. As i landed as international student in sep 2017.

For year 2018, we filed tax as common law partners on april 06, 2019 clearly after sending the application.

Our Proof of Income statements for year 2018 show our status as Common law.

Now for my application Background check started on july 16. And I haven’t yet received anything from CIC on additional documents or anything.

Now my question is shall I wait for CIC to ask me for additional documents. Or I should use webform and send recent Proof of Income statements issued by CRA anyway.
Hi! Just wanted to ask if the Proof of Income statement is the same as the Option C?