+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common-Law sponsorship (Next steps)

D_chsn1

Star Member
Mar 5, 2021
I received my PR on Apr-07-2022 through common law sponsorship. Unfortunately my partner and I split up on May 2nd 2023, we are finally moving out of the house we were living in this month (dec 2023). Previously, I had my study permit up until 2023 December. What are my next steps? Do I need to worry about anything? I was planning on applying for citizenship next year since I will be eligible as per the calculator online. Any advice would be really appreciated! Thank you.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sorry to hear this.

When you became a PR on 07 Apr 2022, any existing permits (i.e. your study permit) were no longer valid, nor needed.

With the removal of Condition 51 several years ago, a sponsored spouse or partner is no longer required to live with their sponsor, so there is no impact on your PR status or plans to apply for citizenship when you are eligible.

Your sponsor will still be financially responsible for you (and your care) until 07 Apr 2025, unless that requirement has changed.

Reactions: D_chsn1

D_chsn1

Star Member
Mar 5, 2021
Sorry to hear this.

When you became a PR on 07 Apr 2022, any existing permits (i.e. your study permit) were no longer valid, nor needed.

With the removal of Condition 51 several years ago, a sponsored spouse or partner is no longer required to live with their sponsor, so there is no impact on your PR status or plans to apply for citizenship when you are eligible.

Your sponsor will still be financially responsible for you (and your care) until 07 Apr 2025, unless that requirement has changed.
Thank you for your quick response! Glad to hear that I do not have to go through any other process. I was worried since I have built my life here in Canada, hopefully my citizenship process goes smoothly as well. Cheers!