+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common law sponsorship help!

jinna

Sep 20, 2019
Hi I am kinda indecisive, so we applied for common law sponsorship at the end of 2020 through an agent and until now we haven’t heard anything… and he hasn’t asked us to sign any form of stuff and we paid him and got not receipt receipts and everytime we ask him about our case is like only have to wait nothing can do. Anyways the main thing is that should I re apply? And how does the process work do have to cancel the first applicant we submitted?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi I am kinda indecisive, so we applied for common law sponsorship at the end of 2020 through an agent and until now we haven’t heard anything… and he hasn’t asked us to sign any form of stuff and we paid him and got not receipt receipts and everytime we ask him about our case is like only have to wait nothing can do. Anyways the main thing is that should I re apply? And how does the process work do have to cancel the first applicant we submitted?
You need to sign many forms for the complete sponsorship application to be submitted. It's not possible without your signatures (both you and your common law partner). And for 2 years, you hear nothing?!

It's very unlikely that you acturally have applied.

jinna

Sep 20, 2019
Yeah, I havent signed anything, because my case is a bit complicated and I needed a lot of documents from china he said he will help me get notarized documents from china and he is like yea due to Covid bla bla delays and that went off for a year and then every month I keep asking he is like I am writing the love story and submit and he said my case was special therefore he is like waiting for the immigration department to respond and until nothing !

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Yeah, I havent signed anything, because my case is a bit complicated and I needed a lot of documents from china he said he will help me get notarized documents from china and he is like yea due to Covid bla bla delays and that went off for a year and then every month I keep asking he is like I am writing the love story and submit and he said my case was special therefore he is like waiting for the immigration department to respond and until nothing !
regardless, you still need to sign your application. If no application forms were signed, then his "waiting for the immigration department to respond" saying is a lie.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Where is this "agent" located? Were you asked to pay the cost of filing the application, meaning, what must be paid to the Canadian government in order to apply?

As YVR123 says, if you never signed an application, you do not have an application submitted, unless your handy agent forged the required signatures. You might be able to contact the IRCC by phone and explain, and ask if anything was submitted, but even that is likely a waste of time. If you are still in touch with the agent, insist that he provide you with copies of anything and everything he has prepared and sent to the IRCC.
Has your husband remained in Canada this entire time (read your posts from 2019). If so, did he maintain his status in Canada?

jinna

Sep 20, 2019
regardless, you still need to sign your application. If no application forms were signed, then his "waiting for the immigration department to respond" saying is a lie.
Thanks you ! Then I should find a different lawyer urgently ayy

jinna

Sep 20, 2019
Where is this "agent" located? Were you asked to pay the cost of filing the application, meaning, what must be paid to the Canadian government in order to apply?

As YVR123 says, if you never signed an application, you do not have an application submitted, unless your handy agent forged the required signatures. You might be able to contact the IRCC by phone and explain, and ask if anything was submitted, but even that is likely a waste of time. If you are still in touch with the agent, insist that he provide you with copies of anything and everything he has prepared and sent to the IRCC.
It is located in Markham, yeah still in touch with him was refer by a family member

jinna

Sep 20, 2019
If he's in Ontario, and was a practising lawyer, I would certainly be contacting the Law Society of Upper Canada and making a complaint. You might want to do that with the assistance of a lawyer who passes muster. Someone with known immigration law expertise. The Law Society can refer you if you need a referral.
Thanks you ! But would it affect immigration process ?

jinna

Sep 20, 2019
It should not. As I and others have said, it seems unlikely any immigration matter is in process and you need someone to get in there and do a proper job of representing you and advising you. If you were cheated, or just plain ill-served, by another lawyer, you have remedies available. I would urge you to pursue them.
Thanks you !

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
He is out of status does why it makes the case complicated
Yes! Don't panic, but right now time is an enemy!

You might strongly consider submitting an inland (SCPLC) sponsorship application (as it's evident that you've been the victim of an incompetent `agent'). There is a Public Policy in place that waives the requirement for an applicant to have legal status in Canada, BUT...it is not an absolute guarantee that he would not be removed!

jinna

Sep 20, 2019
Yes! Don't panic, but right now time is an enemy!

You might strongly consider submitting an inland (SCPLC) sponsorship application (as it's evident that you've been the victim of an incompetent `agent'). There is a Public Policy in place that waives the requirement for an applicant to have legal status in Canada, BUT...it is not an absolute guarantee that he would not be removed!
Yeah I know, we though we were in the process ayyy Do you have any good immigration lawyers that can refer to me in Toronto? Like trustful ones?