+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common-law SPONSORSHIP (help!)

Pattyp06

May 11, 2018
Hello everyone,
I hope to get some kind of information from people that have pass through this nightmare. I have a visitor visa until 2022, I first came to Canada on 2017 to visit family, friends and also for tourism, that year i traveled 3 times out of Canada and cameback, in one of those trips I met my now common-law Partner in another country, he lived in other province far from I was staying, after we met, we visited each other during 5 months, we decided to give a try and I moved with him. On my last trip to Canada I was asked by an officer at the airport why I was coming again to the country and I showed an acceptance letter from a short-term course that I was gonna take, they accepted me for 6 months. Before my 6 months expired I sent an application to CIC for study permit because i wanted to finish the program, 4 month after i sent it i received a letter with a refusal and asking me to leave the country inmediatly because i was out of status. I called immigration Canada (phone) to ask questions because im not a criminal to be ask to leave the country inmidiantly, the first agent that i spoke to was not very helpful so i decided to call the next day. Very early in the Morning, I got conected with an angel, the agent took the time to go on the system and verified what happened with my application saying all the time that I was not qualified to ask for study permit Inside Canada, i explained that i applied based on the information that CIC provide on the webiste (which is not very clear) that i had to do it from my country, after a long back and fouth with his supervisor he said that on my online file there was a mistake and that the officer that reviewed my case has to contact me again, to not send any documents and telling me not to worried about that the police will not come to Knock at my door, I was ready to return to my country because the last thing that i wanted was to have problems with CIC, very hard the situation, my boyfriend was very upset and beged me not to leave him that i have options, we consulted an immigration lawyer and he gave us the option to applied for restoration of status from within 90 days, almost 2 month after i spoke with the agent, i received another letter from CIC asking me to discard the preview's letter, denying my study permit and giving me thewrite to restore my status in 90 days from the date that i received that letter. My boyfriend decided to sponsor me as common-law Partner. We sent our application at the end of January 2019,( CIC received the file the next day, we paid for express, signature request and exact delivery time) right before my 90 days grace to restore my status, alone with the PR application we sent and OWP application.

Last Week our lawyer received an e-mail that says that they received our file, with the date that they received it, a file number and the letter was corresponded to my boyfriend.

My question is, do you think CIC will restore my status and process my case even if i over stayed in Canada and i have no status? if my case is process, when am i supposed to receive my WP? after this letter what should i receive from CIC? what are the steps on this Journey.

Many thanks….

michael22

Aug 25, 2018
Hello everyone,
I hope to get some kind of information from people that have pass through this nightmare. I have a visitor visa until 2022, I first came to Canada on 2017 to visit family, friends and also for tourism, that year i traveled 3 times out of Canada and cameback, in one of those trips I met my now common-law Partner in another country, he lived in other province far from I was staying, after we met, we visited each other during 5 months, we decided to give a try and I moved with him. On my last trip to Canada I was asked by an officer at the airport why I was coming again to the country and I showed an acceptance letter from a short-term course that I was gonna take, they accepted me for 6 months. Before my 6 months expired I sent an application to CIC for study permit because i wanted to finish the program, 4 month after i sent it i received a letter with a refusal and asking me to leave the country inmediatly because i was out of status. I called immigration Canada (phone) to ask questions because im not a criminal to be ask to leave the country inmidiantly, the first agent that i spoke to was not very helpful so i decided to call the next day. Very early in the Morning, I got conected with an angel, the agent took the time to go on the system and verified what happened with my application saying all the time that I was not qualified to ask for study permit Inside Canada, i explained that i applied based on the information that CIC provide on the webiste (which is not very clear) that i had to do it from my country, after a long back and fouth with his supervisor he said that on my online file there was a mistake and that the officer that reviewed my case has to contact me again, to not send any documents and telling me not to worried about that the police will not come to Knock at my door, I was ready to return to my country because the last thing that i wanted was to have problems with CIC, very hard the situation, my boyfriend was very upset and beged me not to leave him that i have options, we consulted an immigration lawyer and he gave us the option to applied for restoration of status from within 90 days, almost 2 month after i spoke with the agent, i received another letter from CIC asking me to discard the preview's letter, denying my study permit and giving me thewrite to restore my status in 90 days from the date that i received that letter. My boyfriend decided to sponsor me as common-law Partner. We sent our application at the end of January 2019,( CIC received the file the next day, we paid for express, signature request and exact delivery time) right before my 90 days grace to restore my status, alone with the PR application we sent and OWP application.

Last Week our lawyer received an e-mail that says that they received our file, with the date that they received it, a file number and the letter was corresponded to my boyfriend.

My question is, do you think CIC will restore my status and process my case even if i over stayed in Canada and i have no status? if my case is process, when am i supposed to receive my WP? after this letter what should i receive from CIC? what are the steps on this Journey.

Many thanks….
It seems like you received the first letter to say that it was received. You should be able to link your application to the my cic website using the application number etc. You probably have to create an account first. You can then track your application. If you have applied for an OWP along with your common law application and it gets approved, you usually get this approx 6 months after your application is received, so possibly the end of July. If the application was received before your status expired you would be on implied status I.e. waiting on a decision however if your application is returned or rejected you would be out of status. But usually it's quite a good sign that you heard back from them. I think that would indicate that at least the application was complete

Pattyp06

May 11, 2018
Hello Michael,

Thanks for giving some info about this stressful process. I’m out status since November 2018 because I applied by mistake for study permit inside Canada, it was denied twice but the second letter that I received from CIC they allowed me to restore my status from within 90 days so before this letter expired we sent the application for PR along with an open work permit and restoration of status, all the fees and forms where included and it was sent to Mississagua. Do you think I have a chance to get my work permit?