+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common-law sponsorship - do immigration agents come visit you?

oceanwaves44

May 6, 2020
Do agents come to your home to visit you and check if your relationship is genuine? Or are those rumours/seen in movies?
I'm assuming that's what the interview is for...

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Do agents come to your home to visit you and check if your relationship is genuine? Or are those rumours/seen in movies?
I'm assuming that's what the interview is for...
No - they don't come and check.

DirtyMelodies

Star Member
Feb 19, 2020
No - they don't come and check.
That is false. In cases where they have solid grounds to believe the application is fraudulent, they will do surprise visits:

In this case, it was suspected that common-law applicants were not residing at the same address. CBSA officers drove past both addresses at 5:00AM to check whose vehicles were parked, then did surprise visits later that morning. They checked for personal effects (clothes, toothbrushes, etc), driver's licenses, etc. The applicant was unable to provide any proof that the sponsor lived with them (underwear, toiletries, etc).

Source: https://www.canlii.org/en/ca/fct/doc/2013/2013fc92/2013fc92.html

Reactions: YVR123

DirtyMelodies

Star Member
Feb 19, 2020
Has anyone had an experience like this?
As @Qwertypod said, If your relationship is genuine, you have no reason to be worried. If you're considering committing immigration fraud, just be aware that if you're caught, you will face serious criminal charges, be deported, and barred from entering Canada for 5 years. Oh, and it'll be on your record forever. If you're the sponsor, you'll still be held accountable to reimburse the government for whatever financial assistance the applicant claims for the first 3 years (no matter whether you're still in a relationship with that person).

There's a ton of other options other than being sponsored/sponsoring someone. You should look into them.

oceanwaves44

May 6, 2020
I am in a genuine relationship of 5 years and have all the proof. The worry is knowing an agent has control over the decision. I guess I just think the worse when it comes to these things… I have to stop worrying lol

DirtyMelodies

Star Member
Feb 19, 2020
I am in a genuine relationship of 5 years and have all the proof. The worry is knowing an agent has control over the decision. I guess I just think the worse when it comes to these things… I have to stop worrying lol
Why worry about home visits specifically, though?