+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common-law sponsorship- are you able to leave while awaiting PR

meesha.g

Jan 16, 2018
Hello, I am a Canadian citizen and I am sponsoring my common-law partner. I was recently approved to be his sponsor and in October of last year he obtained his work permit. We have recently considered going back to New Zealand this summer (June 2019) so he can renew his tradee license and do a course. We would go back to New Zealand for a total of 4 or 5 months. If we do this, could this jeopardise him obtaining his Canadian Permanent Residency?

I have read different statements online and I am still unsure of what can happen.

Any help would be much appreciated!

momo2018

Jan 8, 2018
I guess you applied inland? if so the answer is no. You have to stay in Canada. Once he will get his PR then you will be able to do it.

Reactions: YVR123

Calm2019

Jan 31, 2019
Ontario
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
November 2, 2018
Doc's Request.
Not Applicable
AOR Received.
November 22, 2018
Med's Request
January 21, 2019
Med's Done....
January 29, 2019
No you can’t leave Canada while processing the permanent residency if you applied Inland

Last edited:

kcward7

VIP Member
May 4, 2017
Hello, I am a Canadian citizen and I am sponsoring my common-law partner. I was recently approved to be his sponsor and in October of last year he obtained his work permit. We have recently considered going back to New Zealand this summer (June 2019) so he can renew his tradee license and do a course. We would go back to New Zealand for a total of 4 or 5 months. If we do this, could this jeopardise him obtaining his Canadian Permanent Residency?

I have read different statements online and I am still unsure of what can happen.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Yes, you can leave Canada. Saying you cannot leave Canada is incorrect. You are free to leave Canada at any time.

There are some specifics here though that pertain specifically to an inland application:

1) Leaving Canada for more than a couple weeks absolute max will invalidate the inland requirement. If IRCC got wind of this your application would be rejected.

2) Short trips are generally okay pending you meet the admissibility requirements. However, if you are denied entry at the border, your application will be abandoned. In addition, it's completely up to the officer on whether or not they let you in. Many applicants successfully take short trips but there's never any guarantee.

Reactions: Hurlabrick

momo2018

Jan 8, 2018
Yes, you can leave Canada. Saying you cannot leave Canada is incorrect. You are free to leave Canada at any time.

There are some specifics here though that pertain specifically to an inland application:

1) Leaving Canada for more than a couple weeks absolute max will invalidate the inland requirement. If IRCC got wind of this your application would be rejected.

2) Short trips are generally okay pending you meet the admissibility requirements. However, if you are denied entry at the border, your application will be abandoned. In addition, it's completely up to the officer on whether or not they let you in. Many applicants successfully take short trips but there's never any guarantee.
Thats a complete answer. But he was asking about 5 month leave,and so the short answer is no.