+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common Law Sponsor/any way to say with my BF in MTL. Help

RoseMoon

Mar 12, 2019
I am a United States Citizen that has been studying in Montreal for almost four years. My Study Permit is expiring in August, but I won't be graduating this term because I changed my major, (according to my school I was not eligible to apply for a permit renewal since because of family issues I had to attend Uni part-time for a bit).
Here's where it gets tricky... I don't care about graduating because I already got a job (Freelance/USA based, but can work from anywhere). What I do care about is staying with my boyfriend who is from Spain and living in Montreal on a work permit. We have been living together for almost a year now in Montreal, can he sponsor me for a Common Law Relationship if he is not a Canadian citizen and I have already been in Canada for the past four years? He is planning on leaving Canada in a year or so and I plan to go with him, so I'm not concerned with becoming a citizen, I just would really love to avoid being separated from him for a year in anyway possible. At this point I'm feeling like there are no solutions and it's an impossible situation, so any tips you may have at all would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you so much!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I am a United States Citizen that has been studying in Montreal for almost four years. My Study Permit is expiring in August, but I won't be graduating this term because I changed my major, (according to my school I was not eligible to apply for a permit renewal since because of family issues I had to attend Uni part-time for a bit).
Here's where it gets tricky... I don't care about graduating because I already got a job (Freelance/USA based, but can work from anywhere). What I do care about is staying with my boyfriend who is from Spain and living in Montreal on a work permit. We have been living together for almost a year now in Montreal, can he sponsor me for a Common Law Relationship if he is not a Canadian citizen and I have already been in Canada for the past four years? He is planning on leaving Canada in a year or so and I plan to go with him, so I'm not concerned with becoming a citizen, I just would really love to avoid being separated from him for a year in anyway possible. At this point I'm feeling like there are no solutions and it's an impossible situation, so any tips you may have at all would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you so much!
No, he can't sponsor you. If you become common-law and he is working in a skilled job, you can apply for an OWP based on his work permit. Otherwise, you need to change your status to visitor.

timbitpep

Jan 20, 2019
NY
Category........
FAM
no, he is not qualified to sponsor you because he does not have any status.

however, as a US citizen, you are free to come and go as you please (sort of) without a visa. technically, you can stay for 6 months without a visa. You may have to exit and re-enter a few times as a visitor.
Do you have an address that you can use in the US for your employment and mail? your parents/sibling/etc?

you can work remotely while you are visiting. It's very important that the border agent believes that you plan on LEAVING Canada at the end of your visit and will not overstay. You will not "live" there. You are a visitor in his apartment. Make sense?

unfortunately, I don't know enough about study permits to address extending it. but I wonder if the school misunderstood? or maybe you just needed to apply from scratch?

Reactions: RoseMoon

RoseMoon

Mar 12, 2019

however, as a US citizen, you are free to come and go as you please (sort of) without a visa. technically, you can stay for 6 months without a visa. You may have to exit and re-enter a few times as a visitor.
Do you have an address that you can use in the US for your employment and mail? your parents/sibling/etc?

you can work remotely while you are visiting. It's very important that the border agent believes that you plan on LEAVING Canada at the end of your visit and will not overstay. You will not "live" there. You are a visitor in his apartment. Make sense?

unfortunately, I don't know enough about study permits to address extending it. but I wonder if the school misunderstood? or maybe you just needed to apply from scratch?

RoseMoon

Mar 12, 2019

Thank so much for you input!
Yes, my parents actually live 45 minutes away from the border in the states, so I was considering just coming to Canada for a few months and then leaving for a few weeks or so to reset things and then coming back and so on, is that possible? If it is, how long can one do that before the border guards sniff out what you're up to and don't let you through? Or is it that If I stay for 6 months in Canada, I then have to leave Canada for 6 months to reset things before reentering?
Thanks again!