+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common-law sponsership queries

mitten

May 21, 2013
I am a British Citizen and my boyfriend is a Canadian citizen. He is looking to sponser me for permanent residency. We are both currently in Canada living with his parent. I am only visiting as a tourist (6 months and I can't work) and it runs out in November. I haven't yet had my medical or police checks done (both of which will be fine). Here are the issues we're looking to have explained:

1) We wanted to go through the OUTLAND application route for speedier processing times (my visa office will be London which takes 10months) but as I mentioned I haven't yet done a medical or police checks. Could I complete a medical INSIDE Canada and have my parents get police checks on my behalf?

2) How long into the process would the interview be (if I was required). Also, would the interview need to be in England, or could I request to have the interview in Canada as I am living here currently (STILL APPLYING OUTLAND)?

3) If I do have to fly back to the UK to complete medical etc. could my partner come with me without any issues of him not residing in Canada at the time? Cause we can't submit the outland initial application without these checks done first.

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1) You can complete the medical in Canada.
2) If an interview is required it will be held in the UK and can't be moved to Canada.
3) Not applicable since the medical can be done in Canada.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hi, have you already satisfied the common-law requirement of living together 12 months continuous, before you got to Canada?

Note that if you apply outland, you'll need to maintain your visitor status in Canada to stay here. Since your bf is a citizen he doesn't actually need to be in Canada during the processing, so could always go to the UK with you for any reason.

mitten

May 21, 2013
Rob_TO said:
Hi, have you already satisfied the common-law requirement of living together 12 months continuous, before you got to Canada?
We met in Australia and lived in a tent in a hostel we worked at for 9months then flew to England together and stayed with my parents. Now we're in Canada together living with his mum, so we've lived continuously together for over a year, but only 10months prior to Canada. We won't start the application for another 3months or more so by then we would have lived together continuously for 14/15 months.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
mitten said:
We met in Australia and lived in a tent in a hostel we worked at for 9months then flew to England together and stayed with my parents. Now we're in Canada together living with his mum, so we've lived continuously together for over a year, but only 10months prior to Canada. We won't start the application for another 3months or more so by then we would have lived together continuously for 14/15 months.
That's ok, as long as it's continuous living it doesn't matter how many countries you've been living in. Just make sure to gather solid evidence that will show cohabitation... going back at least 12 months from when you finally submit the application. Hopefully you've been keeping proofs as you've been going along... starting with the hostel in Australia (i'm sure cohabitation in a tent together will be a first for whatever VO reviews your application lol). Letters from both sets of parents will be a must for you guys. Good luck!