+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common Law - Risks

kikiva

Feb 16, 2017
Due to not having the typical documents required to prove common law status, I feel like my situation is a little complicated however not impossible. My partner's visa is expiring, hence we want to give it a shot. What happens if our application gets rejected due to insufficient documentation, at that point my partner will have left the country and we will have been separated (not-cohabiting). Will we not be in a common-law relationship automatically at that point? Would I have to re-enter the pool and apply (assuming I get ITA) as single or common law? Just trying to evaluate what are the risks to our approach. we do plan on getting married but not for another year and outland sponsoring will take another year. We do not want to be apart from each other for that long. :'(
any advise will be helpful.

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
You need to provide evidence that at some point during your relationship you have cohabited for 12 months. It isn't immediately before the application, just at some point during your relationship. It can be as simple as mail going to the same address for 12 months, maybe provide a letter each for 12 months or something.