+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common-law relationship seperated

ML92

Jan 31, 2024
I have received my COPR but have seperated from my partner who was my sponsor for the common-law application. I haven’t entered Canada yet, my partner still wants me to help me get my PR. Will this affect me entering Canada and my PR?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have received my COPR but have seperated from my partner who was my sponsor for the common-law application. I haven’t entered Canada yet, my partner still wants me to help me get my PR. Will this affect me entering Canada and my PR?
It may, since there have been times when a sponsor needed to accompany the sponsored person when activating (landing) the CoPR.

Does your sponsor understand that they will be financially responsible for you for 3 years after the day that you become a PR?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Can you apply for PR on your own?
If you have seperated with your parnter, it's a changed of your status (from common law back to single) and you needed to notify IRCC.
If you land and pretend nothing happened, it's misrepresentation.
Well...

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
At this point it would be misrepresentation on your part to continue with the sponsorship, and you're indeed required to inform IRCC.

While that may not sound like a big deal, my understanding is that there's no 'limitation' on how long that would remain an issue - i.e. at any point in the future they could decide you received your PR status on a fraudulent basis and revoke it.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You'll be committing misrepresenting if you land and become a PR using this COPR and are no longer in a relationship.

Your sponsor is accepting significant potential financial risk if they don't withdraw their sponsorship. They should cancel their sponsorship.

ML92

Jan 31, 2024
thanks everyone for the response. Does anyone know if there is any way the PR will go through still once I inform ircc about my relationship change?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thanks everyone for the response. Does anyone know if there is any way the PR will go through still once I inform ircc about my relationship change?
Not likely, since without a genuine sponsor you no longer qualify under this type of application. As mentioned, it will be misrepresentation at the very least.

Unless things have changed, you will be asked questions when you `land', of which one is asking if your relationship with your sponsor has changed (or similar verbiage).

Reactions: YVR123

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No. It's dependent on the sponsorship and relationship.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
As others have warned misrepresentation would have significant potential consequences for you and your ex partner. They would not qualify to sponsor anyone for 3 years and if misrepresentation found they would likely struggle with any immigration issues in the future. If you attempted to got though with this you would have to worry about losing status for your whole life. It is a VERY bad idea to lie on an immigration.