+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common-Law Relationship Separation During Application Process

patryk

Jun 20, 2018
Hi,

I was wondering if someone has knowledge on the current situation I am in. Please hear me out.

I have moved over to Canada from a European country in September 2016. (Almost 2 years ago) I have applied in December 2016 under Family visa for a common-law relationship with my girlfriend. As of December 2017 I have found work with my temporary work visa for 2 years...

Just a couple of months ago, prior to my final stage in the visa application, we have separated. We still have a good contact with each other regardless of what has happened in our relationship.

We both have forgotten to withdraw our Common-Law Relationship. Just now we have received an interview for my sponsor to with the immigration officer. We will be honest with the immigration about the situation that has happened, without lying.

Questions:

1) Do we withdraw the application ASAP, 1 week prior to the interview, or should we have the sponsor break the news at the interview? That things didn't work out between us?

2) What will happen to me? Will I be deported back to Europe now that our relationship is over prior to receiving my PR? I have a full time job at a very reputable company - would it be possible to re-apply for just a work permit as a single man, within Canada? At the end of the day, relationships do not work out and I really do want to stay in Canada, continue my work and contribute to this beautiful country.

3) What are the possible scenarios?

I will be seeking an immigration consultant as well, but I'd like to hear comments from this forum.
Many thanks

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1) Withdraw the application now. No point going to the interview.
2) You can continue working for the validity of the open work permit you hold. Once that's done, you'll have to find your own way to stay in Canada. To apply for a work permit on your own, your employer will almost certainly need to obtain an approved LMIA.

Fabiog

Mar 22, 2017
Hi,
1.Did you live together for 12 months in Canada and then applied for the family sponsorship?
2.How long after you applied for common-law visa did you wait to receive open work permit?

common law you must just prove you lived 12 months together and then had to leave because your tourist visa expired etc but you still have to be in a relationship with that person.