+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common Law Relationship Proofs

AspirantCanada123

Mar 15, 2018
Respected members,
I would request you to share your experience and confirm if IRCC accepts and approves PR application with a common law partner as in my situation.
Note: I have received OINP nomination along with my common law and about to submit post ITA docs.

We studied in the same college. We are in relationship since 2010 and in 2013 we moved in together(Flat) and shared all the expenses and took several trips together. We share rental agreements, joint account etc but Last year in Jan 2017 I had to travel to some other country due to work and since then we are living in two separate countries.
Though we keep meeting each other and share the rents and other expenses. When I travel to my country I stay with her in the same Flat which we rented. Also she visits me In every 2 months.
Will IRCC accept our relationship as common law and approve our PR application?

xieyixy1231

Jun 9, 2016
I think so, because the separation is not under your control. Also provide the evidence that your and your partner's travel history and pictures of yours. I would also provide phone call history to each other (if you call your common law partners pretty much every single day).

In addition, include a letter explaining everything from beginning until now. I can also have some friends and/or family members write letters confirming those facts.

Reactions: AspirantCanada123

AspirantCanada123

Mar 15, 2018
I think so, because the separation is not under your control. Also provide the evidence that your and your partner's travel history and pictures of yours. I would also provide phone call history to each other (if you call your common law partners pretty much every single day).

In addition, include a letter explaining everything from beginning until now. I can also have some friends and/or family members write letters confirming those facts.
Thanks, Yes i included a detailed letter to OINP also. They accepted and gave nomination. I am bit worried about IRCC as i heard they are very strict.
I am thinking of resigning and travelling back to stay together but this will increase the burden on her and is not good for my career either. Hope that IRCC accepts our relationship with all the proofs. I have letters from our family members and other bills and travel history to meet each other almost every alternate month plus banks statements showing funds transferred.

xieyixy1231

Jun 9, 2016
Thanks, Yes i included a detailed letter to OINP also. They accepted and gave nomination. I am bit worried about IRCC as i heard they are very strict.
I am thinking of resigning and travelling back to stay together but this will increase the burden on her and is not good for my career either. Hope that IRCC accepts our relationship with all the proofs. I have letters from our family members and other bills and travel history to meet each other almost every alternate month plus banks statements showing funds transferred.
That's enough, do include all the proof when you lived together. I applied via OINP with a common law partner also, so far, IRCC has not informed me any issue with that.

AspirantCanada123

Mar 15, 2018
That's enough, do include all the proof when you lived together. I applied via OINP with a common law partner also, so far, IRCC has not informed me any issue with that.
Oh great, I will pray and hope that you receive PPR ASAP.
Have you also been separated from each other for some period of time. If it's okay with you can you please disclose which stage of application you are in.

Ares0628

Oct 1, 2017
Do you have any document to be notarized? i.e.
1) the lease agreement (it's hard to require the landlord to notarize the agreement)
2) IMM5409 (this one is necessary?)
3) two friends' declaration (necessary?)

In addition, if we don't have paper bills (all of them are e-bills), can we use the bank statement which has the address instead?

Please help. Thank you.

AspirantCanada123

Mar 15, 2018
Do you have any document to be notarized? i.e.
1) the lease agreement (it's hard to require the landlord to notarize the agreement) — only Rental agreement is fine.
2) IMM5409 (this one is necessary?) —— yes it is. Infact you will get a placeholder to fill and upload this form.
3) two friends' declaration (necessary?)—- it can be friends or family. Not necessary but good to have atleast from a family member.

In addition, if we don't have paper bills (all of them are e-bills), can we use the bank statement which has the address instead?—— take the bank statements and highlight the transactions you have in common and upload it as proof. This will prove your address and financial dependency also.

Please help. Thank you.

Last edited: