+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common-law proof. One more time.

Oct 8, 2020
Hello.
Please, let us understand how we could prove our genuine common-law relationship if we don't have any of the official documents listed here?
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=347&top=14

We have gathered all the documents for Express Entry and our CRS score should be enough to get ITA. Looking at the further process I have a question and didn't find the right answer here.

We are not married yet, but are already engaged (I've made a proposal for my gf and have a video), we've been living together for more than a year, thus could be considered as common-law partners.
Unfortunately, from all the list to prove a common-law relationship the only thing we have is the rental agreement with both our names. No other joint accounts like insurance or driver’s licenses do exist in our country. The bills for electricity etc. were always been paid by our landlord, consequently no shared utility accounts and bills could be provided.

1. So, we only have a rental agreement signed by us and our landlord, plenty of photos/videos of trips and everyday life together during the period we are a couple. Would it be enough?

2. Also we want to get married, but wish we could do it in Canada after moving there. So, if we get married in our country for about a month before creating EE profile, will it look like making this for immigration purposes or better trying to prove common-law instead?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello.
Please, let us understand how we could prove our genuine common-law relationship if we don't have any of the official documents listed here?
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=347&top=14

We have gathered all the documents for Express Entry and our CRS score should be enough to get ITA. Looking at the further process I have a question and didn't find the right answer here.

We are not married yet, but are already engaged (I've made a proposal for my gf and have a video), we've been living together for more than a year, thus could be considered as common-law partners.
Unfortunately, from all the list to prove a common-law relationship the only thing we have is the rental agreement with both our names. No other joint accounts like insurance or driver’s licenses do exist in our country. The bills for electricity etc. were always been paid by our landlord, consequently no shared utility accounts and bills could be provided.

1. So, we only have a rental agreement signed by us and our landlord, plenty of photos/videos of trips and everyday life together during the period we are a couple. Would it be enough?

2. Also we want to get married, but wish we could do it in Canada after moving there. If we get married for about a month before creating EE profile, will it look like making this for immigration purposes or better trying to prove common-law instead?
To prove common law you must provide evidence to show one year of cohabitation. Videos are not accepted as evidence by IRCC. Even if they were, they don't prove cohabitation, they just prove you are in a relationship. Same goes for photos. They don't prove cohabitation.

Does the rental agreement you have date back at least one year? Are you sure you really have no other evidence such as bank account statements showing the same address, credit card statements showing the same address, employment or tax documents showing the same address, phone bills, etc. If you are both living at the same address, then it would make sense that you have at least some other documents that list the same address. These documents don't need to have both of your names on them.

If all you have is the rental agreement, then I would get married.

Oct 8, 2020
That's the reason I got worried.

The rental agreement was made more then a year ago and then was prolonged. It includes landlord's and our names, housing conditions and amount to be paid monthly. It's just a standard agreement signed by both sides and is not notarized. We continue to live together, but all the bills are paid by our landlord. We just pay her cash every month.

(In our country having a car insurance, paying bills or getting bank account does not require giving your factual address. The national passport stating the place where you were born in enough. No institution cares of the place you are currently living (or renting) when releasing any documents like insurance, licence, etc. Taxes from our wages are paid by employers directly to the Government, no evidence of the place I live. Regarding cell phone bills - no one uses them in 2020, everybody has a mobile phone.)

On the link below it is also mentioned that if it is impossible to provide documents than a detailed written explanation must be provided. We could make such explanations if needed.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/non-economic-classes/family-class-determining-spouse/assessing-relationship.html

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
That's the reason I got worried.

The rental agreement was made more then a year ago and then was prolonged. It includes landlord's and our names, housing conditions and amount to be paid monthly. It's just a standard agreement signed by both sides and is not notarized. We continue to live together, but all the bills are paid by our landlord. We just pay her cash every month.

(In our country having a car insurance, paying bills or getting bank account does not require giving your factual address. The national passport stating the place where you were born in enough. No institution cares of the place you are currently living (or renting) when releasing any documents like insurance, licence, etc. Taxes from our wages are paid by employers directly to the Government, no evidence of the place I live. Regarding cell phone bills - no one uses them in 2020, everybody has a mobile phone.)

On the link below it is also mentioned that if it is impossible to provide documents than a detailed written explanation must be provided. We could make such explanations if needed.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/non-economic-classes/family-class-determining-spouse/assessing-relationship.html
Sure, you can certainly provide a detailed explanation. None of us here can guarantee that will work. But you can certainly try.

Oct 8, 2020
Thanks for information.
One more question: could getting married, for instance, a month before getting to EE pool be considered a fraud? My gf have read such opinion somewhere)
It's just our dream to move to Canada and we had a long way to get CRS score needed and now we are pretty worried about the documentary proof of our relationship.