+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common-Law PR Sponsoship + OWP - HELP WITH FEES?

lilzergling

Oct 13, 2018
Toronto ON
Category........
FAM
Hello!

I am a Canadian Citizen who is sponsoring my common-law partner from the USA. He has been inland in Canada since May 2017.

Since he is an American Citizen, he does not require a travel visa when entering. He has clearly overstayed his initial 6-month entry that is implied for American Citizens.

We have been together since 2014. But we are just now finishing his application. My question is, is he technically out of status when I submit the OWP?

I know I need to pay the OWP fee of $100 PLUS the Work Permit fee of $155. BUT do I also have to pay the RESTORE YOUR STATUS AS A WORKER fee of $355?

I assume we do NOT have to pay the restoration fee, but I do not want the application to be delayed... I had plans to send it out within a day or two.

Please advise!!! Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello!

I am a Canadian Citizen who is sponsoring my common-law partner from the USA. He has been inland in Canada since May 2017.

Since he is an American Citizen, he does not require a travel visa when entering. He has clearly overstayed his initial 6-month entry that is implied for American Citizens.

We have been together since 2014. But we are just now finishing his application. My question is, is he technically out of status when I submit the OWP?

I know I need to pay the OWP fee of $100 PLUS the Work Permit fee of $155. BUT do I also have to pay the RESTORE YOUR STATUS AS A WORKER fee of $355?

I assume we do NOT have to pay the restoration fee, but I do not want the application to be delayed... I had plans to send it out within a day or two.

Please advise!!! Thank you!
- Yes, he's out of status in Canada. Submitting an OWP application will not automatically put him back in legal status. He will still be out of status.
- No, do not apply to restore his status. It is too late to restore his status given how long he has been in Canada without status/illegally.
- Yes, pay the $100 plus the $155 for the OWP.
- Note that since he's out of status in Canada he doesn't qualify for the OWP pilot which grants the OWP about four months after the application is submitted. He will have to wait until he has AIP before the OWP will be approved.

Reactions: lilzergling