canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for the reply!

Just wondering : how long did it take until your application was approved?

Also, you said your partner was in the country without status. I technically started living with my bf in March, and from March to May, I was on visitor status (90 days granted). Would those months count toward the year of cohabitation?
As long as you can prove you were living together, your status doesn't matter. You can become common-law while living in Canada illegally.

bribriman

Star Member
Sep 15, 2017
The checklist specifies what you have to write in the back of each of the 20 photos.. PAs DOB and the location/circumstance under which photo was taken i think is what it asks for.
Ah thank you!

So I think I have most of the documents ready... but I just wanted to confirm one more time.

From Sep 2015 - Mar 2017: my partner (Canadian) and I did monogamous long distance relationship (we Skyped everyday, which I have screenshots of, we have bus and plane tickets, photos, etc.)

March 2017 - May 2017: I lived with my partner in Toronto as a legal visitor. I was on his lease as an occupant.

May: got my student permit, we opened a joint bank account.

May 2017 - July 2017: lived in the same apartment in Toronto, paying utilities (internet, hydro) and groceries from the joint account.

August 2017: drove from Toronto to the west coast, stopping in Calgary to see bf's family for 2 weeks.

Late Aug - now (and for the next three years): in a new apartment in Victoria with both of us as tenants. Both of us are law school students. We have tenants' insurance under both of our names and still use joint bank account actively.

So my question is "Is it wise to apply for PR next May?" or should I wait until next August (because of the August gap when we were driving across the country)

I realize I'm asking a lot of questions, but I'm completely new to this process (as is my partner) and would like to have it approved in one go. Thank you so much in advance!!!

WeegieInOttawa

Champion Member
Jun 11, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London (UK)
App. Filed.......
24-10-2017
AOR Received.
08-12-2017
File Transfer...
24-01-2018
Med's Request
11-12-2017
Med's Done....
02-01-2018
Ah thank you!

So I think I have most of the documents ready... but I just wanted to confirm one more time.

From Sep 2015 - Mar 2017: my partner (Canadian) and I did monogamous long distance relationship (we Skyped everyday, which I have screenshots of, we have bus and plane tickets, photos, etc.)

March 2017 - May 2017: I lived with my partner in Toronto as a legal visitor. I was on his lease as an occupant.

May: got my student permit, we opened a joint bank account.

May 2017 - July 2017: lived in the same apartment in Toronto, paying utilities (internet, hydro) and groceries from the joint account.

August 2017: drove from Toronto to the west coast, stopping in Calgary to see bf's family for 2 weeks.

Late Aug - now (and for the next three years): in a new apartment in Victoria with both of us as tenants. Both of us are law school students. We have tenants' insurance under both of our names and still use joint bank account actively.

So my question is "Is it wise to apply for PR next May?" or should I wait until next August (because of the August gap when we were driving across the country)

I realize I'm asking a lot of questions, but I'm completely new to this process (as is my partner) and would like to have it approved in one go. Thank you so much in advance!!!
The vacation together doesn't make a difference. You can apply March 2018 as you started living together March 2017.

Reactions: bribriman

methyl

Feb 1, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico City
App. Filed.......
29-07-2016, Received 02-08-2016. Out of status app.
Doc's Request.
PGR 30-11-2016
Nomination.....
SA Approved 31-08-2016
AOR Received.
AOR1 23-08-2016. AOR2 30-11-2016
File Transfer...
31-08-2016
Med's Done....
28-06-2016
Passport Req..
17-05-2017
VISA ISSUED...
06-06-2017
LANDED..........
31-07-2017
If you don't mind me asking.. What was the reason your partner was without status?
My partner was on study permits but in the end the school did not work out.
We estimated that visitor's visa will probably be refused, and that could turn into a departure order, which cannot be ignored.
It wasn't easy to decide to be either separated for a long time or an overstay but we had to make that choice.

Reactions: WeegieInOttawa

bribriman

Star Member
Sep 15, 2017
On the application form, it asks you to specify whether the sponsor has a job and if not, how he/she intends to support the sponsored. Since we are both students with no income, would this be an issue? Could I (the sponsored) show my bank account to prove self-sufficiency?

Also how long did it take for you guys (and your partners) to get to first stage approval?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
On the application form, it asks you to specify whether the sponsor has a job and if not, how he/she intends to support the sponsored. Since we are both students with no income, would this be an issue? Could I (the sponsored) show my bank account to prove self-sufficiency?

Also how long did it take for you guys (and your partners) to get to first stage approval?
You guys need to show you can support yourselves without welfare. How do you support yourselves? Savings? Family assistance? Loans? Show proof and include a detailed financial plan.

It takes a few months for sponsor approval.

bribriman

Star Member
Sep 15, 2017
You guys need to show you can support yourselves without welfare. How do you support yourselves? Savings? Family assistance? Loans? Show proof and include a detailed financial plan.

It takes a few months for sponsor approval.
My partner has a line of credit for law school, and I have financial support from my family (my parents are not Canadian). We are both financially self-sufficient

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
My partner has a line of credit for law school, and I have financial support from my family (my parents are not Canadian). We are both financially self-sufficient
You need to include proof of his line of credit, a letter and bank statements from your parents and your detailed plan.