+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common-law partnership visa / processing time

samlafontaine

Jul 6, 2020
Hi all,

I'm Canadian and sponsoring my common-law partner.

She already lives in Canada with me and we have submitted the common-law partnership visa application (along with the open work permit application) early March (so 4 months ago).

We haven't heard anything back from Immigration Canada, and since the application was all done in paper it's impossible to follow its progress.

Does anyone know to what extent the coronavirus has delayed processing times for these types of applications? Her current visa (working holiday) expires in 3 months.

By now we should also have received her open work permit – should we be worried about only having 3 months left on her current visa?

bian07

May 19, 2017
People from february are still waiting to hear back and december& january applicants are still waiting for their work permits.

samlafontaine

Jul 6, 2020
People from february are still waiting to hear back and december& january applicants are still waiting for their work permits.
Thanks @bian07! Any guess on how long the open work permits take to be issued from the day you've gotten confirmation that immigration canada have received your application?