+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common law partner

nahum97

Dec 12, 2023
Hi

Me and my gf are living together from Nov 2021 and have lease from Feb 2022 to Feb 2023 then she went to a different city for work from May 2023 to Sept 2023and then we again stayed together from oct 2023 under a lease taken together. we have never mention as common-law in any IRCC application like PGWP application or in CRA. But we have each others name in work insurance beneficiary, work permit issued in same address, affidavit and bank statement proving financial aids.

she got ITA last week and we want to apply together as common law partners, but she applied as single.

can we apply together as common law partners now with the above proofs

Last edited:

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi

Me and my gf are living together from Nov 2021 and have lease from Feb 2021 to Feb 2022 then she went to a different city for work and then we again stayed together from oct 2023 under a lease taken together. we have never mention as common-law in any IRCC application like PDWP application or in CRA. But we have each others name in work insurance beneficiary, work permit issued in same address, affidavit and bank statement proving financial aids.

she got ITA last week and we want to apply together as common law partners, but she applied as single.

can we apply together as common law partners now with the above proofs.
You may want to update your timeline (living together starting at Nov 2021 but have lease beginning Feb 2021?).
This is also not a Family Class sponsorship question. Since none of you is already a PR/citizen, and is looking into sponsoring your partner.
Post at one of the economic stream section. (not sure what is PDWP and you didn't ITA of what stream)

nahum97

Dec 12, 2023
You may want to update your timeline (living together starting at Nov 2021 but have lease beginning Feb 2021?).
This is also not a Family Class sponsorship question. Since none of you is already a PR/citizen, and is looking into sponsoring your partner.
Post at one of the economic stream section. (not sure what is PDWP and you didn't ITA of what stream)
Thank you. PGDM - post graduate work permit and ITA in cec stream

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you. PGDM - post graduate work permit and ITA in cec stream
As noted - not family class issue. But a warning, if you believe you are common law, you CANNOT file as single. If you're not sure, check. The downside is that if you declare as single, and they later decide that you should have applied as common law, the one can never sponsor the other.

Another catch: it sounds like you lived together exactly or just shy of 12 months. Being even a day short will make you not qualify as common law.

Still in my view, safer to apply as common law.

Or just 'pick a lane' as they say, get married and apply as married.

Reactions: YVR123