+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

common law partner

NataliiaShk

Aug 4, 2018
Hi!
I have a COPR( got it before March 18th), planning to land in Canada this summer and visit my parents who are already there and got their PR card, I live together with my boyfriend outside Canada, soon it will be 1 year what is mean that we are common law partner due to Canadian law. Do you know can he enter Canada with me during this Corona time(August) ? Do I need somehow inform CIC about this and what documents should we provide to proof that we live together?
Thank you !

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi!
I have a COPR( got it before March 18th), planning to land in Canada this summer and visit my parents who are already there and got their PR card, I live together with my boyfriend outside Canada, soon it will be 1 year what is mean that we are common law partner due to Canadian law. Do you know can he enter Canada with me during this Corona time(August) ? Do I need somehow inform CIC about this and what documents should we provide to proof that we live together?
Thank you !
It's critical that you land in Canada and become a permanent resident BEFORE you reach 1 year of living with your boyfriend.

How much time do you have before you reach the 1 year?

Once you are common law, you will no longer qualify to get PR as part of your parents' application.

Reactions: Buletruck

NataliiaShk

Aug 4, 2018
It's critical that you land in Canada and become a permanent resident BEFORE you reach 1 year of living with your boyfriend.

How much time do you have before you reach the 1 year?

Once you are common law, you will no longer qualify to get PR as part of your parents' application.
We live together from July
Wow, why is critical? I mean I already have a COPR, or it doesn't change the situation ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
We live together from July
Wow, why is critical? I mean I already have a COPR, or it doesn't change the situation ?
The COPR doesn't change anything. You absolutely need to travel to Canada and land before you hit the 1 year of living with your boyfriend. You cannot be common law at the time you land. What matters is your status at the time of landing.

You can sort out sponsoring him for PR afterwards.

If you wait until after you have lived with him for a year, one of two things will happen:

1) If you try to add him to the application, your COPR will be canceled since you will no longer meet the criteria for being a dependent of your parents and you will no longer qualify to get PR through them.
2) If you don't add him and simply land even though you are common law, you will never be able to sponsor him.

Again, get yourself to Canada and land in June. This is serious stuff and the actions you take now will have long lasting implications to your future in Canada.

Reactions: canuck_in_uk

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
okey, but I will not even try to sponsor him afterwards ?
I am not planning to live in Canada actually, I just to land to keep a PR to be able to visit my parents
What do you think in this case ?
I mean in July do I need to inform CIC about this changes or Cani simply land with him ?
If you want PR, you must travel to Canada and land BEFORE you have lived together with your boyfriend for a year.

There is no way to "land with him" or add him to the application. This is not possible.

Once you have lived together for a year and are common law, you will no longer qualify to get PR as part of your parents' application. Again, you have to come to Canada before the 1 year.

Also note that once you are a PR, you must live in Canada for 2 years out of every 5 years to keep your PR status.

NataliiaShk

Aug 4, 2018
If you want PR, you must travel to Canada and land BEFORE you have lived together with your boyfriend for a year.

There is no way to "land with him" or add him to the application. This is not possible.

Once you have lived together for a year and are common law, you will no longer qualify to get PR as part of your parents' application. Again, you have to come to Canada before the 1 year.

Also note that once you are a PR, you must live in Canada for 2 years out of every 5 years to keep your PR status.
Thank you so much!
Okey final question if I land in June, than in August will it be possible to go with my boyfriend to Canada as common law partner?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you so much!
Okey final question if I land in June, than in August will it be possible to go with my boyfriend to Canada as common law partner?
Your boyfriend doesn't get any special status being the common-law partner of a PR. He has to apply for a TRV like everyone else. The fact that he will have a Canadian partner actually lowers his chances of being approved for a TRV.