+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common Law Partner

Noelly

Dec 8, 2008
Hi,

Can anyone help my on some clarification. I currently have a skilled worker application in process (or i think it is). If i were to gain a skilled worker visa, am i able to bring my girlfriend with me to canada? Or would she need to apply herself? We have lived together for just over a year, does this make her my common law partner??

Any help would be appreciated.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You need to apply to add her to your application. As soon as you had lived with her for 12 months, you became common law partners under Canadian law.

chelly

Jun 25, 2009
Hi,

I am working here at Canada for 5mos already with a work permit. I have a boyfriend in the Philippines for 6 yrs. What would be the easiest way for him to come here at Canada? If he applies for a visit visa, and I declare him as my common law partner once he arrive here at Canada, is it possible that he would be granted with an open work permit?

thank you very much...

cathy2381

Star Member
Jun 25, 2009
to chelly...

For as long your job fall under the skilled category and you been together (live in) for atleast a year then he could come here as your dependent(commonlaw partner). He would geet openvisa same expiration as yours.

chelly

Jun 25, 2009
But i don't think common law is being recognized in the Phil...We are living together but we don;t have any property that is named after us, or even bills that we pay because when I was still in the Phil, we were living with his parents. the only thing that we have is a joint account which we opened more than a yr ago...

NewYorker

Nov 4, 2008
You can use that as a proof of Common Law, you are proving this to the Canadian Immigration not Philipines Government so it doesn't matter if they recognize common law or not. As long as two people live together more than one year and they can prove, they can become common law partner under Canadian Laws. If this question is asked about the country where people don't usually live together or not allowed to live together (because of their religion or country's laws), then probably its hard to prove.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

quote author=NewYorker link=topic=20769.msg106285#msg106285 date=1246248408]
You can use that as a proof of Common Law, you are proving this to the Canadian Immigration not Philipines Government so it doesn't matter if they recognize common law or not. As long as two people live together more than one year and they can prove, they can become common law partner under Canadian Laws. If this question is asked about the country where people don't usually live together or not allowed to live together (because of their religion or country's laws), then probably its hard to prove.
[/quote]

Going to be difficult to prove as they now have been separated for 5 months, and it would interesting as to what the poster claimed on the TWP application as to martial status. If s/he claimed common/law fine, if not s/he will have a problem in the future.

PMM

chelly

Jun 25, 2009
I didn't declare him as my common law partner when i arrived here..what if he'll go here using a visit visa and once he arrived, i'll declare him as my common law partner, is it possible that he will get an open work permit?

thank you very much

aanbaan

Champion Member
Apr 1, 2009
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-Apr-2009
Doc's Request.
14-May-2009
AOR Received.
09-Jul-2009
Med's Request
30-Aug-2009
Med's Done....
05-Sep-2009
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
30-Aug-2009
VISA ISSUED...
24-Feb-2010
LANDED..........
08-Aug-2010
hey PMM,

i remember rading on a post long back that they give consideration to partners separated because of genuine reasons like working in different countries or far away location, etc and in principal, when they get together, they stay together.

a lot though would depend on how much the case assessing officer is convinced.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chelly said:
I didn't declare him as my common law partner when i arrived here..what if he'll go here using a visit visa and once he arrived, i'll declare him as my common law partner, is it possible that he will get an open work permit?

thank you very much
So what would he say while applying for his visit visa? That he is just going as a tourist? It's better to be upfront and you declare him as a common law right away when applying for his visit visa. Immigration really doesn't like people who try to go behind their backs. If they say that you did not declare him as common law when you entered Canada or that you have now been separated so long that you are no longer considered common law, then you have the option of marrying him.

There is still no guarantee that he would get a visit visa or a spouse work permit. He has to prove that he will return home when his visa expires just like you. If they are not convinced he will go back, he will not get a visa.