+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common-Law Partner Sponsorship - Employment / Source of Income

JayCBach

Sep 6, 2020
Category........
FAM
Hello,

My partner and I are currently working on the common-law sponsorship and need to provide proof that I (Sponsor) can support the Applicant.
I am unsure what kind of documents I should include.

Note: I currently live abroad with my partner.
  • Would it be sufficient enough to include both of our current employment contracts with has our yearly salary?
  • Do I need to include bank information or funds in my savings to indicate that both me and my partner are financially independent?
Detailed Explanation of how to support applicant:
  • What should be included in that explanation? - That I plan on looking for a job once I return to Canada? Is that sufficient enough?
What else can we include that would that would provide proof that I can support the applicant and that we can both financially support ourselves.

Thank you in advance

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello,

My partner and I are currently working on the common-law sponsorship and need to provide proof that I (Sponsor) can support the Applicant.

• Would it be sufficient enough to include both of our current employment contracts with has our yearly salary?
  • Do I need to include bank information or funds in my savings to indicate that both me and my partner are financially independent?
  • What should be included in that explanation? - That I plan on looking for a job once I return to Canada? Is that sufficient enough?
What else can we include that would that would provide proof that I can support the applicant and that we can both financially support ourselves.

Thank you in advance
Basically your approach above is fine. Your "detailed plan" can basically be that you have savings, that you intend to work (your work history / cv / current salary info / professional qualifications will support this point). You can also include info that your spouse intends to work and similar info about him/her.

In short, they seem to accept basic information that shows you intend to and should be able to support your spouse. Obviously if you have job offers or discussions in Canada with salary range that would be even better, but not required.

We do not know whether they have specific requirements - probably not, and instead the examining officer makes a judgment as to how credible the case is.

(Note: they do not specify which exact documents need to be provided, e.g. whether you need a formal letter from current workplace or just something from you. Up to you how to put together a convincing case and what will be sufficient. Quality over quantity is most useful guideline.)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

Thank you in advance
You will also need very strong proof that you are actually going to move to Canada,

Reactions: JayCBach

JayCBach

Sep 6, 2020
Category........
FAM
You will also need very strong proof that you are actually going to move to Canada,
Thank you very much for your reply.

The most difficult part of the application is the proof that I will be moving to Canada if the visa is approved.

I'm not exactly sure what to include. We both have messages among friends that indicate our intentions to move to Canada, but otherwise I am at a loss of what else I can prove.

Now with covid-19, it is difficult to actually say when we are able to leave Japan and both move to Canada.

Any feedback or advise would be appreciated!

Last edited:

Qwertypod

Jan 28, 2019
Thank you very much for your reply.

The most difficult part of the application is the proof that I will be moving to Canada if the visa is approved.

I'm not exactly sure what to include. We both have messages among friends that indicate our intentions to move to Canada, but otherwise I am at a loss of what else I can prove.

Now with covid-19, it is difficult to actually say when we are able to leave Japan and both move to Canada.

Any feedback or advise would be appreciated!
They like to see evidence of you searching for places to live and work. Show them your plans to close things out at home as well.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Leaving jobs, securing jobs in Canada, looking or securing house, etc. Evidence can be submitted during the sponsorship period.