+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common law partner sponsorship ( Canadian man and Indian girl on a visitor visa)

Leojongte

Jun 4, 2018
Hi Everyone ,
I'm new to this forum. I'm an indian girl on a visitor visa here. My boyfriend is a Canadian citizen. We have been living together for 8 months in his apartment. So we're planning to do the common law partner application. For that, I'm planning to extend my visitor visa so we can apply for the common law partner sponsorship.
But we never share any bills, no joint account to prove our living together .Most of our living expenses are bear by him as he is working and I'm not working .
So we want to apply soon for the sponsorship in the next 3 months and the question is how do we work on those documents and proof ( bills, accounts) in a short period of time??
When it comes to one partner bearing all the expenses, What will be the impression ? What are the proofs and documents that we need to include along with our application to show that we are living together for 1 yr ?
Please anyone share some lights on what to do so our application will not be rejected.

Also, we want to know inland application or outland application for our case( India or Canada ) will be faster ?
Thank you in advance for your help !

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi Everyone ,
I'm new to this forum. I'm an indian girl on a visitor visa here. My boyfriend is a Canadian citizen. We have been living together for 8 months in his apartment. So we're planning to do the common law partner application. For that, I'm planning to extend my visitor visa so we can apply for the common law partner sponsorship.
But we never share any bills, no joint account to prove our living together .Most of our living expenses are bear by him as he is working and I'm not working .
So we want to apply soon for the sponsorship in the next 3 months and the question is how do we work on those documents and proof ( bills, accounts) in a short period of time??
When it comes to one partner bearing all the expenses, What will be the impression ? What are the proofs and documents that we need to include along with our application to show that we are living together for 1 yr ?
Please anyone share some lights on what to do so our application will not be rejected.

Also, we want to know inland application or outland application for our case( India or Canada ) will be faster ?
Thank you in advance for your help !
Hi

You must have 12 months of continuous cohabitation to apply as common-law, so if you have been living together for 8 months, you can't apply in 3 months.

There is no point in getting joint stuff now. You needed to get it 8 months ago when you started living together. What actual proofs do you have?

Reactions: Leojongte

Leojongte

Jun 4, 2018
Hi
Canuck_in_uk ,
Thanks for the reply .
Like I said, In order to have a continuous cohabitation for 12 months, I'm planning to extend my visitor's visa .
Also to come here as a visitor, and not working, it's not likely to have utilities bills, joint bank account , or joint lease as I'm just here visiting him.
The only proof we have is our travel together, our photos together and friends or family affidavit.
I wonder if they will expect a visitor to have all those proofs and documents shared with her live in partner who could fully support her financially .
I do know from reading other's application checklist that we need to have all kinds of proof, specially the joint financial documents but I guess our case is different.
But it also make me hesitate if that's what the immigration office are expecting .
So confused on what documents and proofs should we attached to proof our relationship as a common law partner.
Would love to hear any advice !
Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi
Canuck_in_uk ,
Thanks for the reply .
Like I said, In order to have a continuous cohabitation for 12 months, I'm planning to extend my visitor's visa .
Also to come here as a visitor, and not working, it's not likely to have utilities bills, joint bank account , or joint lease as I'm just here visiting him.
The only proof we have is our travel together, our photos together and friends or family affidavit.
I wonder if they will expect a visitor to have all those proofs and documents shared with her live in partner who could fully support her financially .
I do know from reading other's application checklist that we need to have all kinds of proof, specially the joint financial documents but I guess our case is different.
But it also make me hesitate if that's what the immigration office are expecting .
So confused on what documents and proofs should we attached to proof our relationship as a common law partner.
Would love to hear any advice !
Thanks
It is quite easy to have those documents, even as a visitor. Many people do it. Your case is not unique and yes, IRCC will require you to show such proofs. Travel and photos are not common-law proofs.

Leojongte

Jun 4, 2018
Thanks for the reply !
Okay, So due to lack of proof, our chance of applying as a common law partner is not good. This was my worries when I go through other's stories !

Any advice on this -
If we get married here in Canada , I have only 2 more months before my visitors visa runs out ( May 30- Nov 30)
1) Should I extend it before considering Inland spousal sponsorship on ?

OR

2)Get married, get the marriage certificate and leave Canada without extending and apply outland sponsorship in Delhi Office ( I heard it's shorter waiting period).
I have a multiple entry visa and came to Canada twice already( 2017 and 2018).
Do you think there is any chance of refusal if i try to come back to Canada while the process is still going on as Outland sponsorship?

I just can't form a conclusion to what kind of sponsorship we should apply .
In our case I was hoping Marriage or Common law partner could be our option.
Would love to get some advice on this !
Many thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks for the reply !
Okay, So due to lack of proof, our chance of applying as a common law partner is not good. This was my worries when I go through other's stories !

Any advice on this -
If we get married here in Canada , I have only 2 more months before my visitors visa runs out ( May 30- Nov 30)
1) Should I extend it before considering Inland spousal sponsorship on ?

OR

2)Get married, get the marriage certificate and leave Canada without extending and apply outland sponsorship in Delhi Office ( I heard it's shorter waiting period).
I have a multiple entry visa and came to Canada twice already( 2017 and 2018).
Do you think there is any chance of refusal if i try to come back to Canada while the process is still going on as Outland sponsorship?

I just can't form a conclusion to what kind of sponsorship we should apply .
In our case I was hoping Marriage or Common law partner could be our option.
Would love to get some advice on this !
Many thanks
Given your lack of common-law proofs, a married app would be a much better option.

You can choose either. You can apply outland while remaining in Canada and extending your visitor status.