+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common Law Partner Proof?

HollieO

Oct 14, 2017
Hello everyone,

So I am a US citizen looking to immigrate to Canada as a common-law partner to my boyfriend. I came to Canada in mid March of 2017 under a temporary one-year open work permit (IEC class). I had reapplied for a second year in which I got approved, and just picked up my second year-long open work permit a couple of days ago by flagpoling at the Rainbow Bridge border crossing in Niagara Falls. Upon getting my taxes done, I was advised that since I have lived with my boyfriend for a year now, we need to change our marital status from Single to Common Law with the CRA.

We plan on doing this, and we have discussed having him sponsor me as his common-law partner so I can immigrate here on a PR visa. As I heard it can be a bit more difficult to prove a genuine relationship with common-law than marriage, I would like some advice on what would be best to give me the best chance at having my application approved. Here are some of our circumstances...

- We have been in a genuine LDR relationship from June 2011 up until I moved here last year. We met on an online game and things just went from there. I don't really have any copies of any tickets showing I visited Canada, but I do have plenty of visa stamps in my passport - they were all lost in the move to Canada. Boyfriend has more physical proof that he came and visited me in the form of boarding passes and whatnot.

- Our hydro bill is in both of our names, and we have enough to show we lived here together for a year.

- Internet bill is in my name only, but I can get proof with that that I have been at my current address for a year.

- A weird thing happened when we got our apartment in that I wasn't physically put on the lease - instead it was my boyfriend as well as his dad (who was our co-signer). Would I be able to use the lease agreement to at least show my boyfriend also resided at this address, along with a letter stating that our landlord recognizes that we were both present at our current address for a year, or over? She is aware I live here and I'm actually the one who deals with her more often than my boyfriend.

- Boyfriend's primary proof of address would be his bank statements as well as his T4s and tax documents, as they were mailed here. I also have T4s and tax documents that show I resided at this address - my bank statement wouldn't match up as I forgot to change my address to my current one until recently. Would this be considered good proof?

- As for supplemental proof that our relationship is genuine... We have a crap ton of things like text logs, skype chat logs, facebook messenger logs, could probably get call logs, etc that could go back as far as a number of years ago. We could also get supporting letters from his parents acknowledging the legitimacy of our relationship as I am on very good terms with them.

- We don't really have any pictures - we both hate having our pictures taken (we literally only have 1 picture where we are together, and that is with a group of friends). I have a few where I shot pictures of him and wrote some sappy thing on facebook, but that's as close as we got. Would this be an issue? It seems a lot of people use photos as supplemental proof of legitimacy.

Any advice would be welcome.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Your proofs are all good.
For the bank, just submit a recent copy of the statement that has both your names and common address on it.
You can also look to get a supplementary credit card so both your names show up on 1 credit card bill.
You can get a joint term life insurance policy which each other listed as beneficiary.
When you change your tax status for CRA, it will be effective for March 2018 (so 2017 taxes will be done as "single"). But you can show a snap shot of the changed status when you do it. If you have a CRA online "my account" this is easy to show.

I don't think you'll have any problems with your app.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
- A weird thing happened when we got our apartment in that I wasn't physically put on the lease - instead it was my boyfriend as well as his dad (who was our co-signer). Would I be able to use the lease agreement to at least show my boyfriend also resided at this address, along with a letter stating that our landlord recognizes that we were both present at our current address for a year, or over? She is aware I live here and I'm actually the one who deals with her more often than my boyfriend.
Ask the landlord if she is willing to write a little letter confirming you have lived there the whole time.

- Boyfriend's primary proof of address would be his bank statements as well as his T4s and tax documents, as they were mailed here. I also have T4s and tax documents that show I resided at this address - my bank statement wouldn't match up as I forgot to change my address to my current one until recently. Would this be considered good proof?
Yes, those are good proofs.

- As for supplemental proof that our relationship is genuine... We have a crap ton of things like text logs, skype chat logs, facebook messenger logs, could probably get call logs, etc that could go back as far as a number of years ago. We could also get supporting letters from his parents acknowledging the legitimacy of our relationship as I am on very good terms with them.
As stated on the checklist, communication proofs are only required for couples that don't live together. You can show a selection from when you were long distance but don't focus on that. The letters from the parents would be good.

- We don't really have any pictures - we both hate having our pictures taken (we literally only have 1 picture where we are together, and that is with a group of friends). I have a few where I shot pictures of him and wrote some sappy thing on facebook, but that's as close as we got. Would this be an issue? It seems a lot of people use photos as supplemental proof of legitimacy.
Suck it up and take some pictures together.