+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common law partner applied single on study permit extension, and common law in my pr application

Palashx

Sep 10, 2019
I am applying my PR and adding common law partner, non accomping. I have a small problem though, couple of months ago my common law partner extended her study permit and added her status as single. She was not aware of the fact that we are technically common law (like what common law is and assumed her be single).

Will she be considered under misrepresentation for her study permit, when my pr profile is evaluated ? What I do to prove that it was genuine mistake and there was no other intention.

Humpholito24

Sep 20, 2019
You can raise a webform ASAP and notify them that your partner didn't know what it meant. Technically it is a misrepresentation, but since your partner already got the extension, I presume, it might create some issues on your PR evaluation.

Palashx

Sep 10, 2019
Thank you for your answer. I am thinking of doing the following let me know if this sounds good ?

Now she is applying for a TRV, can she update her status in that form as common law and put an explanation in that form to tell them it was a genuine mistake.

Meanwhile, I would hold on to submit my pr documents until she gets application received status on the TRV application. And, also add a LOE in my pr application.

Humpholito24

Sep 20, 2019
I think that can work. She can explain the genuine mistake as she didn't know the common-law term existed in Canada.

Palashx

Sep 10, 2019
Will she also have a problem with her TRV ? I am really worried about something like a 5 year ban, is something like that applicable in this case. I think this info does not really has any positive or negative effect on the evaluation, is thsi true ?

Humpholito24

Sep 20, 2019
Will she also have a problem with her TRV ? I am really worried about something like a 5 year ban, is something like that applicable in this case. I think this info does not really has any positive or negative effect on the evaluation, is thsi true ?
Any misrepresentation has a negative effect; as long as you let the VO knows, you should be okay. She should be okay when she let them know of the mistake.

amairena95

Apr 19, 2017
Hey did you guys submit the webform, was everything ok afterwards?