+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common-Law Open Work Permit refused

abechny

May 7, 2019
Hello,

I have just been refused OWP after applying as Common-Law. My partner is in Canada already and has a skilled job. I am now still in Czech Republic. I did not want to go there without status. We have signed the Common-Law declaration which is notarized.

The application was refused, because apparently I provided little proof of us being common-law. However, we have been together for 6 years now. In our country, its uncommon to have joint bank account, my also live at my parents, so no lease agreement. We have one year lease agreement from 2016 where both our names figure, but its in Czech. Should I translate it to English?
Also, can I include photos, Facebook etc to support our relationship? Like showing them that we have been together during Christmas, family reunions, etc. Also flight tickets and pictures from holiday? What else?

I am really sad, because we have been away for 4 months now and I have been refused, which will further delay my arrival into Canada. I have already booked flight tickets for 2nd of August hoping my application will be granted, so now I am really confused as to what to do...

Thanks for any help!

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Hello,

I have just been refused OWP after applying as Common-Law. My partner is in Canada already and has a skilled job. I am now still in Czech Republic. I did not want to go there without status. We have signed the Common-Law declaration which is notarized.

The application was refused, because apparently I provided little proof of us being common-law. However, we have been together for 6 years now. In our country, its uncommon to have joint bank account, my also live at my parents, so no lease agreement. We have one year lease agreement from 2016 where both our names figure, but its in Czech. Should I translate it to English?
Also, can I include photos, Facebook etc to support our relationship? Like showing them that we have been together during Christmas, family reunions, etc. Also flight tickets and pictures from holiday? What else?

I am really sad, because we have been away for 4 months now and I have been refused, which will further delay my arrival into Canada. I have already booked flight tickets for 2nd of August hoping my application will be granted, so now I am really confused as to what to do...

Thanks for any help!
All of those things are proof that you should have submitted with your initial application, unfortunately. You need to prove a common law status - it's far too easy to just tick a box that says "common law" and think it sticks, while IRCC is looking for proof. If all you submitted was the common law declaration - and it is unclear you submitted anything - then you didn't actually prove you are in a common law relationship. Unfortunately.

Everyone also recommends you not book travel until you actually have the visa in hand. You'll want to check out your cancellation and refund options. Sadly.

abechny

May 7, 2019
All of those things are proof that you should have submitted with your initial application, unfortunately. You need to prove a common law status - it's far too easy to just tick a box that says "common law" and think it sticks, while IRCC is looking for proof. If all you submitted was the common law declaration - and it is unclear you submitted anything - then you didn't actually prove you are in a common law relationship. Unfortunately.

Everyone also recommends you not book travel until you actually have the visa in hand. You'll want to check out your cancellation and refund options. Sadly.
So you think I can apply again? I have time until August, as applications get approved (or denied) in approx. 5 weeks for Czech citizens... I don´t have anything to hide, so I am not scared. You think I can apply again and provide all information possible?

chi89

Star Member
May 6, 2019
UAE
can a marriage contract with attestation from foreign affairs would be enough to convince the officers? by the way i have also applied for sowp. but we are married.