+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common Law Open Work Permit - IEC

c1414014

Dec 6, 2019
Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me with my question regarding my partner getting an open work permit whilst I'm on IEC. I have another 11 months remaining on my Working Holiday permit (until Nov 2020) and have been working in a Noc B job since July of this year. My partner and I will be common law at the end of this year so we plan to apply for an OWP with him as my common law partner (exemption C41 for IRCC) at the start of 2020.

My main concern is in knowing what evidence to provide in his application. I've spoken with the help centre on two occasions regarding this and have two completely different answers. One told me to only provide the essentials, and the other told me to treat it like applying for PR and include letters from family, photos etc. Has anyone been through the process successfully and what did you provide?

Based on what I've read online, we plan to provide:
- Statutory Declaration of Common Law (signed early January) - evidence is a recent statement from our joint bank account and our joint tenancy agreement for Jan - Dec 2019 and will include these to IRCC too
- Evidence of my working status - work permit, contract of current work and recent pay stubs to show continuing to work there

Thanks in advance for your help!

daniel4111

Feb 1, 2020
Hi! I am in the same position and wondering if you gave this a try yet? Did everything work out ok?

Cheers!