+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common law inquiry

stephen92

Star Member
Jan 16, 2017
So my gf and I are considering applying for commonlaw. We have lived together for 1 year, been out of the country on holidays have photos together and started a business last month together

1 she isnt on my lease she just pays her share. Can i ask my landlord to sign a letter syaing yes she has lived here for 12months ? or redo a lease and back date it?

2 we dont have any joint accounts due to tax reasons from her country.

Can we do the application ourselves? My lawyer quoted me 10 grand for lmia + express entry or 5ish for commonlaw

ashpash22

Jan 15, 2018
Australia
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
02-09-2018
AOR Received.
23-03-2018
Med's Request
28-03-2018
Med's Done....
10-04-2018
Passport Req..
22-06-2018
VISA ISSUED...
02-08-2018
So my gf and I are considering applying for commonlaw. We have lived together for 1 year, been out of the country on holidays have photos together and started a business last month together

1 she isnt on my lease she just pays her share. Can i ask my landlord to sign a letter syaing yes she has lived here for 12months ? or redo a lease and back date it?

2 we dont have any joint accounts due to tax reasons from her country.

Can we do the application ourselves? My lawyer quoted me 10 grand for lmia + express entry or 5ish for commonlaw

For #1, yes do either of those, that should be sufficient.

How does she pay you for the rent? Do you have any bank statements that show money being transferred? You can print copies of that as proof.

What types of documents do you have regarding the business together? Any permits or bank accounts or anything with both your names?

You can easily do the application yourself, just be very thorough and ask questions on here if you need.

#2 What other documents do you have to show relationship proof? Any other bills in joint names or joint ownership of a vehicle or something? If you have insurance of any kind, add each other as beneficiaries if you haven't already and use that as proof, or consider getting a will. You can also get a common-law declaration done which is helpful.

stephen92

Star Member
Jan 16, 2017

How does she pay you for the rent? Do you have any bank statements that show money being transferred? You can print copies of that as proof.

What types of documents do you have regarding the business together? Any permits or bank accounts or anything with both your names?

You can easily do the application yourself, just be very thorough and ask questions on here if you need.

#2 What other documents do you have to show relationship proof? Any other bills in joint names or joint ownership of a vehicle or something? If you have insurance of any kind, add each other as beneficiaries if you haven't already and use that as proof, or consider getting a will. You can also get a common-law declaration done which is helpful.

At first i was paying for us as she wss changing jobs, probably now in the last 6 months shes been transfeering my money.

Our documents for the business are probably the sole/ partner proprietorship details but thats only within the last month will it be a valid way to show?

Obky bill we have together is a spotify accoubt ahaha, we are very independant

stephen92

Star Member
Jan 16, 2017

If we opened a joint accout now, or i added her my insurance and I ssy apply next month, will they have issies that its such a recent joint account and hasnt been a year?

I also printed my bank ststement and it shows the laat 6 months shes e transferred me rent the 6 months before i payed

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
If we opened a joint accout now, or i added her my insurance and I ssy apply next month, will they have issies that its such a recent joint account and hasnt been a year?

I also printed my bank ststement and it shows the laat 6 months shes e transferred me rent the 6 months before i payed
No point in applying for a joint account now. IRCC needs to see proofs showing one year of continuous cohabitation. What actual proofs do you have?

stephen92

Star Member
Jan 16, 2017
No point in applying for a joint account now. IRCC needs to see proofs showing one year of continuous cohabitation. What actual proofs do you have?
Honestly not alot, flight tickets in January, 6 months of etramsfers for rent. Recently a partner proprietorship for a business. We had no intention/expectation to apply for commonlaw.

Im just wondering if i can get my land lord to redo a lease thats backdated to when she moved in

monkeys89

Aug 24, 2018
Category........
FAM
Honestly not alot, flight tickets in January, 6 months of etramsfers for rent. Recently a partner proprietorship for a business. We had no intention/expectation to apply for commonlaw.

Im just wondering if i can get my land lord to redo a lease thats backdated to when she moved in
You can try, or you can do that and have the landlord write a letter. Better not to misrepresent things - have the lease updated to include both names, have the landlord write a letter stating that you both have been living together since date X.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

Flights aren't common-law proof.

Do you have mail? Individual bank/credit card statements? Phone bills? Amazon receipts? Tax documents? Payslips?

The lease/landlord letter is a proof but on its own, doesn't count for much.

stephen92

Star Member
Jan 16, 2017
Flights aren't common-law proof.

Do you have mail? Individual bank/credit card statements? Phone bills? Amazon receipts? Tax documents? Payslips?

The lease/landlord letter is a proof but on its own, doesn't count for much.
The whole process is silly to me.. kind of flawed

If we can find any bills of hers that come to mine must they be for a whole yes?
Can a bank statement of each of ours witg same address + maybe phone bills + photos + letters of support from roommates, bosses work ?

she took 6 months off work so no payslips at my address
We have seperate finaces so no joint accounts
Her mail was changed only 6months into living together as everything she has is paperless so it never occured to her...

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
The whole process is silly to me.. kind of flawed

If we can find any bills of hers that come to mine must they be for a whole yes?
Can a bank statement of each of ours witg same address + maybe phone bills + photos + letters of support from roommates, bosses work ?

we only just moved in last october but my visa ends this april.

she took 6 months off work so no payslips at my address
We have seperate finaces so no joint accounts
Her mail was changed only 6months into living together as everything she has is paperless so it never occured to her...
How is it flawed? Common-law is a legal status and the onus is on you to prove you lived together continuously for one year.

The proofs need to cover at least a year, i.e. bank statements from Jan 2017 and Jan 2018.

stephen92

Star Member
Jan 16, 2017
How is it flawed? Common-law is a legal status and the onus is on you to prove you lived together continuously for one year.

The proofs need to cover at least a year, i.e. bank statements from Jan 2017 and Jan 2018.[/QUOTE

Flawed in the fact that I could be with her 2 years and because she may choose to not be on a lease or doesnt have mail changed due to paperless accounts or bills it means by their justifscation its not a relationship... And il have to wait 12 months for a decision and if not accurete sent back my work visa may end the im screwed

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Flawed in the fact that I could be with her 2 years and because she may choose to not be on a lease or doesnt have mail changed due to paperless accounts or bills it means by their justifscation its not a relationship... And il have to wait 12 months for a decision and if not accurete sent back my work visa may end the im screwed
It is like applying as married without providing a marriage certificate. You can say it all you want but without proof, how do they know you are telling the truth and not just trying to commit immigration fraud?

stephen92

Star Member
Jan 16, 2017
It is like applying as married without providing a marriage certificate. You can say it all you want but without proof, how do they know you are telling the truth and not just trying to commit immigration fraud?
I get that but like if they are on my lease for a year, we have photos together, have bosses back it with a letter aswell as friends what else can you ask.

i feel if they sre on my lease for a year all the other stuff shouldnt need to also be 1 year as sometimes people srmt thinkibg sbout a visa they think about love...