+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common Law (Inland Sponsorship)

D_chsn1

Star Member
Mar 5, 2021
In order to prove that me and my common law are living together we need to provide bank statements, cellphone bills and any other bills with the same address. I was just wondering if we are supposed to submit 12 months( A year) worth of bills or is it okay if we submit the recent month(Only one month) of bills. This is not mentioned in the ircc website either, so if anyone could help me with this that would be great. Thank you!!!

Naheulbeuck

Aug 14, 2015
In order to prove that me and my common law are living together we need to provide bank statements, cellphone bills and any other bills with the same address. I was just wondering if we are supposed to submit 12 months( A year) worth of bills or is it okay if we submit the recent month(Only one month) of bills. This is not mentioned in the ircc website either, so if anyone could help me with this that would be great. Thank you!!!
You will need as much evidence as possible, those are kinda weaker evidence, you can get your bills sent to other addresses, so sending just a month is an absolute guarantee they will ask for more.

Do you have a lease with both names or mortgage, utility bills with both names? Have you filed your taxes together, do you have life insurance on each other, how long have you been together? You only need one year but if you don't want them to delay your application to try and determine if it is a real relationship that was not entered into for the purpose of immigration, I'd give as much evidence as feasible.

Reactions: D_chsn1

Lim2010

Apr 27, 2021
When I was preparing my app, my lawyer said better to submit for the whole you if are able to find all the bills. At least you should submit beginning and end of the one year period to approve you were together for at least one year

D_chsn1

Star Member
Mar 5, 2021
You will need as much evidence as possible, those are kinda weaker evidence, you can get your bills sent to other addresses, so sending just a month is an absolute guarantee they will ask for more.

Do you have a lease with both names or mortgage, utility bills with both names? Have you filed your taxes together, do you have life insurance on each other, how long have you been together? You only need one year but if you don't want them to delay your application to try and determine if it is a real relationship that was not entered into for the purpose of immigration, I'd give as much evidence as feasible.
We have filed our taxes together and we have the notice of assessments from them stating we are common law. We have been living together for 17 months now. We don't have a joint lease but we can request a letter from my landlord saying we live together in the same household for the period of 17 months we have been together. We have both our names on our car insurance with the same address but they have us as single because according to the insurance company we need to be together for 3 years to be considered as common law but we can provide documentation that we have our names on the car insurance. Do you think this will be enough?

D_chsn1

Star Member
Mar 5, 2021
When I was preparing my app, my lawyer said better to submit for the whole you if are able to find all the bills. At least you should submit beginning and end of the one year period to approve you were together for at least one year
Yeah I am thinking might as well print out the bills for a year and submit it. Thank you.

Naheulbeuck

Aug 14, 2015
We have filed our taxes together and we have the notice of assessments from them stating we are common law. We have been living together for 17 months now. We don't have a joint lease but we can request a letter from my landlord saying we live together in the same household for the period of 17 months we have been together. We have both our names on our car insurance with the same address but they have us as single because according to the insurance company we need to be together for 3 years to be considered as common law but we can provide documentation that we have our names on the car insurance. Do you think this will be enough?
Those should all be good documentation to support your relationship. Submit all of this and you will most likely be fine (worst case they'll just ask for a few more things but with the documentation you have that should not happen in my opinion.

D_chsn1

Star Member
Mar 5, 2021
Those should all be good documentation to support your relationship. Submit all of this and you will most likely be fine (worst case they'll just ask for a few more things but with the documentation you have that should not happen in my opinion.
Thank you so much for you insight. I just have one more question, do you think I should provide a letter of explanation for the car insurance stating we are single instead of common law?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You're trying to prove a year of continuous cohabitation. It's fine not to submit all of them. But make sure you submit bills from the early months (i.e. when you first started living together). Do not just submit recent months. Then all you're proving is recent cohabitation which doesn't show the year required to be common law. If you don't want to submit everything, then submit a bill from the first month and then from a recent month.

D_chsn1

Star Member
Mar 5, 2021
You're trying to prove a year of continuous cohabitation. It's fine not to submit all of them. But make sure you submit bills from the early months (i.e. when you first started living together). Do not just submit recent months. Then all you're proving is recent cohabitation which doesn't show the year required to be common law. If you don't want to submit everything, then submit a bill from the first month and then from a recent month.
Thank you!!!