+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common law help

stephen92

Star Member
Jan 16, 2017
How many people did the application themselves?

I am comsidering doing it but a few things worry me

My girlfriend and I have just the rental lease showing we live together for over a year, things like her bank details to our address were only changed 6months ago and we do not possess joint accounts nor do we pay the utilities, our landlord does.

We do possess a business together eg business licence showing our names but once again thats less than 6 months.

Our bosses will signpapers saying they are aware we are dating over a year, so will a neighbour of ours plus a close friend holding a order of canada award (2md highest honor in Canada)

Considering adding a stac dec of common law union.

Im Australian, do i need a police check from Canada or Australiq or both hahq?

Will i need a lawyer to solidify the case?

Last edited:

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
Most people do this alone as the process is pretty straightforward and simple (if people invest a bit of time to read through the guides and the forum here first) and there's no need to pay thousands of dollars in lawyer/consultant fees. Lawyers are only suggested in complicated cases and most aren't.

You will need both (as you've lived in Canada for quite a while), but wait til you're closer to applying to get them since you'll have to get them again if they expire.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
How many people did the application themselves?

I am comsidering doing it but a few things worry me

My girlfriend and I have just the rental lease showing we live together for over a year, things like her bank details to our address were only changed 6months ago and we do not possess joint accounts nor do we pay the utilities, our landlord does.

We do possess a business together eg business licence showing our names but once again thats less than 6 months.

Our bosses will signpapers saying they are aware we are dating over a year, so will a neighbour of ours plus a close friend holding a order of canada award (2md highest honor in Canada)

Considering adding a stac dec of common law union.

Im Australian, do i need a police check from Canada or Australiq or both hahq?

Will i need a lawyer to solidify the case?
You don't need a lawyer.

However, you do need more actual common-law proofs. Proving the one year of cohabitation is key to a common-law app. A lease is good but you need other things like mail, payslips, phone bills, shipping receipts etc. covering at least a one year period.

stephen92

Star Member
Jan 16, 2017
You don't need a lawyer.

However, you do need more actual common-law proofs. Proving the one year of cohabitation is key to a common-law app. A lease is good but you need other things like mail, payslips, phone bills, shipping receipts etc. covering at least a one year period.
So all the things i added eg business together but for only a few months means nothing... Cause im out of idea how to proof it?

My gf is independant so alot of her stuff wasnt changed pver immedietly

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
So all the things i added eg business together but for only a few months means nothing... Cause im out of idea how to proof it?

My gf is independant so alot of her stuff wasnt changed pver immedietly
It's relationship proof but not common-law proof. The whole basis of the app is proving one year of continuous cohabitation.

stephen92

Star Member
Jan 16, 2017
It's relationship proof but not common-law proof. The whole basis of the app is proving one year of continuous cohabitation.
i understand but we pay our rent woth utilities included so no bills there.

Our phone bills are paperless so her didnt get an adress changed in the last 2 years

I dont see why a rent / lease agreement isnt enough as commonlaw proof with addong all the relationship proof ontop to solidify it..

What are my options then if i just have the lease

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

Our phone bills are paperless so her didnt get an adress changed in the last 2 years

I dont see why a rent / lease agreement isnt enough as commonlaw proof with addong all the relationship proof ontop to solidify it..

For the same reason that people can't just write their names on a piece of paper and call it a marriage certificate. Common-law is a legal status and the onus in on you to prove it.

Any mail, shipping receipts, tax forms, medical/dental bills, insurance, IDs, payslips, employer letters confirming addresses, IRCC correspondence, insurance documents etc.

If you have nothing else, consider waiting until you do or marrying.

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018

That's the trickiest part with common law and why it's best to know in advance that you'll apply so that you can immediately start getting all the different kinds of evidence from the beginning of the 12 month period.

Your other option is to get married. That way you don't need to prove cohabitation, only the relationship being genuine.

stephen92

Star Member
Jan 16, 2017
P
For the same reason that people can't just write their names on a piece of paper and call it a marriage certificate. Common-law is a legal status and the onus in on you to prove it.

Any mail, shipping receipts, tax forms, medical/dental bills, insurance, IDs, payslips, employer letters confirming addresses, IRCC correspondence, insurance documents etc.

If you have nothing else, consider waiting until you do or marrying.
When you say employer letter confirming address what is that ? Like a boss writing a refrrence stating she lives there?