+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common law - going deeper into "Living together"

Jun 27, 2018
Hello,

I'm in the process of applying for EE and have already received my ITA. I'm almost ready to submit my application, but would like to check and clarify information regarding selecting my relationship status.

Originally I filed as in a Common-Law relationship. The situation is:
  • Me (man) and my girlfriend have been in a steady relationship for over 4 years;
  • For the last 2+ years, I've been "living" at her place on weekends, usually arriving at Fridays and leaving on Sundays;
  • We've been having a "marriage like" life, as we both contribute to her place in terms of furniture, apartment supplies, food, groceries, etc, and have plans of staying together;
  • I can definitely provide proof that we've been in a relationship like this for that long, as we have pictures with each other's families, traveling together, invoices of some furniture pieces, records of bank transfer between ourselves, etc;
  • In the weekdays I mostly sleep at my former place (my parents apartment), mostly for practical reasons (e.g: me and my partner have different schedules and sleep times on weekdays in our current moment of life).
  • Considering I work (+ commute) 12 hours a day and sleep for 8, I personally consider that I am living together with my girlfriend, as I spend much more time in our place than I do at my parents' place.
  • For our own personal reasons, we don't have joint bank accounts and all the apartment bills and documents are recorded in her name. All our mutual financial supporting is done informally through paying for services and products we consume.

Searching online, I came to find this thread [https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/common-law-without-living-together.283116/], which got me worried about possible misinterpretations.

Me and my partner plan to move to Canada permanently, and I would have the opportunity to sponsor her. Considering the configuration of my relationship and the options of evidences I have, would we be able to achieve success if I apply for sponsoring her?

Thanks in advance,

E.

EE456

Champion Member
Jul 4, 2018
Hello,

I'm in the process of applying for EE and have already received my ITA. I'm almost ready to submit my application, but would like to check and clarify information regarding selecting my relationship status.

Originally I filed as in a Common-Law relationship. The situation is:
  • Me (man) and my girlfriend have been in a steady relationship for over 4 years;
  • For the last 2+ years, I've been "living" at her place on weekends, usually arriving at Fridays and leaving on Sundays;
  • We've been having a "marriage like" life, as we both contribute to her place in terms of furniture, apartment supplies, food, groceries, etc, and have plans of staying together;
  • I can definitely provide proof that we've been in a relationship like this for that long, as we have pictures with each other's families, traveling together, invoices of some furniture pieces, records of bank transfer between ourselves, etc;
  • In the weekdays I mostly sleep at my former place (my parents apartment), mostly for practical reasons (e.g: me and my partner have different schedules and sleep times on weekdays in our current moment of life).
  • Considering I work (+ commute) 12 hours a day and sleep for 8, I personally consider that I am living together with my girlfriend, as I spend much more time in our place than I do at my parents' place.
  • For our own personal reasons, we don't have joint bank accounts and all the apartment bills and documents are recorded in her name. All our mutual financial supporting is done informally through paying for services and products we consume.

Searching online, I came to find this thread [https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/common-law-without-living-together.283116/], which got me worried about possible misinterpretations.

Me and my partner plan to move to Canada permanently, and I would have the opportunity to sponsor her. Considering the configuration of my relationship and the options of evidences I have, would we be able to achieve success if I apply for sponsoring her?

Thanks in advance,

E.
I only saw your question now, what did you end up doing ?