+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common Law Date

MountainMan256

Jul 31, 2016
Hi, my first lease I signed with my partner back in May of this year has a slightly illegible date. I signed it on the 11th but it looks like it reads May (scribble for the day) 2017. My question being, if my Landlord isn't able to confirm the date, should I send a explanation letter when I apply for PR ok the 12th of May 2018? Or should I wait until June 2nd to apply for PR, and claim Common Law as of June 1st? Thanks

Last edited:

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
You are probably OK to use the 11th as the date if you have other proof this is the day. For example, are your rent payments set to come out on the 11th? Can your landlord write an explanation stating the 11th is the correct date? Honestly, the visa officer might not even look at the date that closely.
If you have no other evidence of the date, to be safe you could wait to apply until June. I would still state that the date you moved in together was May 11th, and when you became common law was May 12, 2018. People do not always apply exactly at the one-year mark, so that won't seem suspicious.

MountainMan256

Jul 31, 2016
You are probably OK to use the 11th as the date if you have other proof this is the day. For example, are your rent payments set to come out on the 11th? Can your landlord write an explanation stating the 11th is the correct date? Honestly, the visa officer might not even look at the date that closely.
If you have no other evidence of the date, to be safe you could wait to apply until June. I would still state that the date you moved in together was May 11th, and when you became common law was May 12, 2018. People do not always apply exactly at the one-year mark, so that won't seem suspicious.
Oh ok, I see. Thanks for the quick response. The payment dates are set for the first of every months, I was signing on to her already existing lease. We don't get a receipt or anything when we pay rent since we just take cash in now.

WeegieInOttawa

Champion Member
Jun 11, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London (UK)
App. Filed.......
24-10-2017
AOR Received.
08-12-2017
File Transfer...
24-01-2018
Med's Request
11-12-2017
Med's Done....
02-01-2018
As per my answer on your other thread..

Use the common law date that is correct. The May one.

Explain the illegible date or get a letter from landlord.

MountainMan256

Jul 31, 2016
As per my answer on your other thread..

Use the common law date that is correct. The May one.

Explain the illegible date or get a letter from landlord.
Landlord couldn't confirm the date so I don't know what to do now. Should I still apply on the 12th of May ? The only proof I have is me texting my mother that I signed it on the 11th

WeegieInOttawa

Champion Member
Jun 11, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London (UK)
App. Filed.......
24-10-2017
AOR Received.
08-12-2017
File Transfer...
24-01-2018
Med's Request
11-12-2017
Med's Done....
02-01-2018
Why wont he write a supporting few sentences confirming the date? He must know what date it was?

Anyways.. Whether you apply on the 12th of May or the middle of July...the date will still not be totally legible. Your options seems to be';

- dont address the fact that the date is slightly illegible, include the lease and leave it at that. CIC may or may not question it.

- include an explanation sheet stating that you know the date may be a little hard to read, that you an confirm that the date was the 11th and leave it that

- include an explanation sheet stating that the date was the 11th and show any other proof that you have supporting the date (ie texts between you and partner confirming moving details, texts/emails between you and landlord to arrange the meeting to sign the lease etc)

- mail your application in June. There will be no question of what date in May it was was because May will be over, you will be past your 1 year common law qualifying mark

Only you can determine how illegible it is and what your next step is. It's not a huge deal and certainly not one you should spend a long time thinking over.

Reactions: MountainMan256

MountainMan256

Jul 31, 2016
Why wont he write a supporting few sentences confirming the date? He must know what date it was?

Anyways.. Whether you apply on the 12th of May or the middle of July...the date will still not be totally legible. Your options seems to be';

- dont address the fact that the date is slightly illegible, include the lease and leave it at that. CIC may or may not question it.

- include an explanation sheet stating that you know the date may be a little hard to read, that you an confirm that the date was the 11th and leave it that

- include an explanation sheet stating that the date was the 11th and show any other proof that you have supporting the date (ie texts between you and partner confirming moving details, texts/emails between you and landlord to arrange the meeting to sign the lease etc)

- mail your application in June. There will be no question of what date in May it was was because May will be over, you will be past your 1 year common law qualifying mark

Only you can determine how illegible it is and what your next step is. It's not a huge deal and certainly not one you should spend a long time thinking over.
Ok thanks, also, she won't write me a letter because she said she couldn't read the date I wrote down :/

MountainMan256

Jul 31, 2016
Also just curious, how long after CIC requests your Police Report and Medical, how long till you have to submit it ? Thanks

WeegieInOttawa

Champion Member
Jun 11, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London (UK)
App. Filed.......
24-10-2017
AOR Received.
08-12-2017
File Transfer...
24-01-2018
Med's Request
11-12-2017
Med's Done....
02-01-2018
Also just curious, how long after CIC requests your Police Report and Medical, how long till you have to submit it ? Thanks
You have 30 days to have your medical done and to upload the docs.

Reactions: MountainMan256

WeegieInOttawa

Champion Member
Jun 11, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London (UK)
App. Filed.......
24-10-2017
AOR Received.
08-12-2017
File Transfer...
24-01-2018
Med's Request
11-12-2017
Med's Done....
02-01-2018
What about police record? Also, are there any time consuming items I should prepare before sending in the PR app?
You will get police cert request and schedule a request at same time probably. You have 30 days for both.

What do you mean time consuming items?

Have your police cert ready (or at least applied for). After those things are done thats all you will need to supply.. Unless they ask for further proof..which you cant possibly predict.

MountainMan256

Jul 31, 2016
Ok, I am mostly worried for the police certificate as they can take months. (Also I'm not sure if I need one since when I turned 18 I came up here, Canada is the only country I've lived in for more then 6 months since 18) Should I request one from the states to be safe? Would I need a police certificate for Canada too?

WeegieInOttawa

Champion Member
Jun 11, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London (UK)
App. Filed.......
24-10-2017
AOR Received.
08-12-2017
File Transfer...
24-01-2018
Med's Request
11-12-2017
Med's Done....
02-01-2018
Ok, I am mostly worried for the police certificate as they can take months. (Also I'm not sure if I need one since when I turned 18 I came up here, Canada is the only country I've lived in for more then 6 months since 18) Should I request one from the states to be safe? Would I need a police certificate for Canada too?
You may need one for Canada but they will apparently ask for that at a later date if they want it and they dont always ask because they can do their own "internal Canada" checks.

MountainMan256

Jul 31, 2016
You may need one for Canada but they will apparently ask for that at a later date if they want it and they dont always ask because they can do their own "internal Canada" checks.
Oh ok. Well what do I do if they ask for it and request it within 30 days, doesn't it take months to get? I also found this saying I don't need one I think http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=037&top=4 .Also, would my partner need to get one? Do you reckon I should get one from the states?

Last edited: