+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common-law confusion

Taur

Mar 30, 2017
I am Taurene. I need someone who can help me in this dilemma. I came to Canada last year. It’s been a year now. My current status is worker. Since day one I am living with my bf. He got his PR last year. Now after declaring our relationship under common law, he is planning to sponsor me for my PR on common law basis.

We both are 21+ Adults. The area of concern is we haven’t yet disclosed our relationship to my parents, whereas his family and our mutual close friends and cousins knows about us. And we don’t yet want to disclose our relationship to my parents.

So our concern is, if he sponsors me through common law, this would or would not affect our privacy and disclose our relationship to my parents? Is there any chance of this thing happening throughout the process or CIC application process understands the privacy of applicants and keep all the information provided confidential.

We are confused whether to go for it or not.
Please any inputs and suggestions from your own experience would be appreciated.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You are adults so they definitely won't call your parents especially in another country. I would include in your application that your family would not be accepting of your same-sex relationship (assume that is what you are referring to) so you have not provided any letter acknowledging your common-law status from them. Unfortunately quite common and a valid explanation why they do not appear in your sponsorship package. Best of luck!

Taur

Mar 30, 2017
You are adults so they definitely won't call your parents especially in another country. I would include in your application that your family would not be accepting of your same-sex relationship (assume that is what you are referring to) so you have not provided any letter acknowledging your common-law status from them. Unfortunately quite common and a valid explanation why they do not appear in your sponsorship package. Best of luck!
But this is not our case. We are of different sex.

Taur

Mar 30, 2017
There are other issues, which is making us to not to yet disclose our relationship to my family. We could arrange letters of our common law acknowledgment from his real brother, our mutual friends, and also from our cousins.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
But this is not our case. We are of different sex.
Same answer still but explain briefly why your family would not be accepting of your relationship for whatever reason eg. different religions, not arranged, living together before marriage, different ethnicities, etc. It is important to mention why your family is not in pictures or supporting your relationship but it shouldn't be an issue.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What really matters is proof that you have been living together for over 12 months and are in a relationship. Lease agreements, bills with the same address, bank info with address, ID with address, letters from friends and family, etc.

Taur

Mar 30, 2017
What really matters is proof that you have been living together for over 12 months and are in a relationship. Lease agreements, bills with the same address, bank info with address, ID with address, letters from friends and family, etc.
We have all these supporting documents to prove our relationship.

Taur

Mar 30, 2017
Thank you for your very valuable response. Every input on this matters is really helpful in our steps taken toward sponsorship application.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Also pay slips and taxes are another thing to submit with the same address. You will have to notify CRA eventually that you are now common law. Online should be fine.