+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common Law Breakup

heartbroken12

Nov 4, 2017
Hello,

I just found out my common law partner (Canadian) has been cheating on me (non Canadian). I am here as a temporary worker and I have applied for sponsorship via common law route. I don't want to stay in the relationship but I want to stay in Canada and keep my job which I love. I am on implied status waiting for a decision to be made on the common law application which I understand could take months.

Do I have any options other than breaking up with my partner and getting kicked out of the country?

Thank you all

Masonb6888

Jan 9, 2016
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
Feb .06. 2017
Doc's Request.
Oct 10, 13. (Updated PCC, and StatDeca Common-law)
AOR Received.
Feb .23. 2017
File Transfer...
OB570 Stream (stayed in Mississauga)/ Oct 30. 2017 (BGC in progress)
Med's Request
Passed: Mar.3.2017
Med's Done....
Oct. 28. 2016
Passport Req..
Nov. 01. 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Nov. 22. 2017
LANDED..........
Nov. 24. 2017
Hello,

I just found out my common law partner (Canadian) has been cheating on me (non Canadian). I am here as a temporary worker and I have applied for sponsorship via common law route. I don't want to stay in the relationship but I want to stay in Canada and keep my job which I love. I am on implied status waiting for a decision to be made on the common law application which I understand could take months.

Do I have any options other than breaking up with my partner and getting kicked out of the country?

Thank you all
Any possibility of your riding out until a decision is made or your partner allowing you to still be sponsored?
I'm so sorry, no one deserves this :(
You do need to remember, your Canadian partner has every right to drop the application at any point for no reason.
But I believe and don't quote me, but isn't there a new law that after a decision is made and you get PR you can stay in the country and don't have to live with him anymore? the 2-year cohab after PR that WAS mandatory is no longer needed? Since people were forced to live in abusive relationships..
What stage are you guys at in your application?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Any possibility of your riding out until a decision is made or your partner allowing you to still be sponsored?
You do need to remember, your Canadian partner has every right to drop the application at any point for no reason.
But I believe and don't quote me, but isn't there a new law that after a decision is made and you get PR you can stay in the country and don't have to live with him anymore? the 2-year cohab after PR that WAS mandatory is no longer needed? Since people were forced to live in abusive relationships..
What you're proposing is fraud. If someone pretends they are still in a relationship simply to obtain PR status - they are breaking the law. CIC will revoke their PR status (even citizenship) if they are discovered.

Reactions: M.steele

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

Thank you all
Sorry for your situation.

Have you checked to see if you qualify to apply for PR on your own through an economic immigration stream like Express Entry? This would be your best option for remaining in Canada long term. Details here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.asp

Is your current employer willing / able to obtain an approved LMIA? You could then change your status to a closed work permit.

Where are you from? How old are you? (Might be some other options.)

When did your work permit expire? Was it less than 90 days ago? If so, I would apply to restore your status and change your status to visitor. That at least will allow you to remain in Canada (although without working) once your ex withdraws the PR application.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012

When did your work permit expire? Was it less than 90 days ago? If so, I would apply to restore your status and change your status to visitor. That at least will allow you to remain in Canada (although without working) once your ex withdraws the PR application.
Doesn't the OWP obtained through inland PR app, stay valid to its expiry date even if the inland PR app is cancelled/withdrawn?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Doesn't the OWP obtained through inland PR app, stay valid to its expiry date even if the inland PR app is cancelled/withdrawn?
Yes - but I don't think the OP has an OWP yet.

heartbroken12

Nov 4, 2017
Thank you for replying.
I have linked my application online and I have submitted my police certificates and background check. Does that change anything?

heartbroken12

Nov 4, 2017

Have you checked to see if you qualify to apply for PR on your own through an economic immigration stream like Express Entry? This would be your best option for remaining in Canada long term. Details here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.asp

Is your current employer willing / able to obtain an approved LMIA? You could then change your status to a closed work permit.

Yes, I have a degree and masters and I suspect I should qualify under express entry. I really really regret not doing that first time around. My employer might be willing to help me out if i decide to end this relationship but have not approached them yet and they have not been too helpful so far.

I am from Ireland and I am 31 years old. My work permit is actually not due to expire until the 8th of this month. I had that wrong. Is there no way I can continue working?

heartbroken12

Nov 4, 2017
Yes - but I don't think the OP has an OWP yet.
Yes, I am still waiting on the OWP permit. I would expect it to arrive in the next month or two. We are still technically in a relationship and have a lease together for another 5 months. I am unsure if we can work through this or not.

WeegieInOttawa

Champion Member
Jun 11, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London (UK)
App. Filed.......
24-10-2017
AOR Received.
08-12-2017
File Transfer...
24-01-2018
Med's Request
11-12-2017
Med's Done....
02-01-2018
Yes, I am still waiting on the OWP permit. I would expect it to arrive in the next month or two. We are still technically in a relationship and have a lease together for another 5 months. I am unsure if we can work through this or not.
What type of work permit are you currently on?

WeegieInOttawa

Champion Member
Jun 11, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London (UK)
App. Filed.......
24-10-2017
AOR Received.
08-12-2017
File Transfer...
24-01-2018
Med's Request
11-12-2017
Med's Done....
02-01-2018
I am currently on a work holiday visa through IEC which expires in 4 days. I submitted an OWP with my PR application so I can continue working until I receive an my OWP.
Be careful with that. A LOT of debate whether you can actually continue working on implied status with an IEC work permit. If you do a search on the forum you will find content about that.

heartbroken12

Nov 4, 2017
Be careful with that. A LOT of debate whether you can actually continue working on implied status with an IEC work permit. If you do a search on the forum you will find content about that.
Yes, I have noticed quite a bit of discussion on this! I've been told that that I should be fine as long as I don't leave the country. I think I'm doing to run with that.

WeegieInOttawa

Champion Member
Jun 11, 2017
Ottawa
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London (UK)
App. Filed.......
24-10-2017
AOR Received.
08-12-2017
File Transfer...
24-01-2018
Med's Request
11-12-2017
Med's Done....
02-01-2018
Yes, I have noticed quite a bit of discussion on this! I've been told that that I should be fine as long as I don't leave the country. I think I'm doing to run with that.
Only you can decide if you want to take that chance. But it is illegal and while people getting "caught" on it is rare it has happened.

heartbroken12

Nov 4, 2017

Can I submit an application for express entry while this application is in process? Would I have to declare that I am n longer in a common law relationship ?