+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common law break-up

theafjioman

Star Member
Aug 5, 2019
Hi - Me and my common-law partner recently broke up. I applied through CEC (AOR June 2020). She was technically listed as a non-accompanying common-law partner because she was a Canadian citizen herself. I only included her on my application as we had done things like lived together for over a year and filed taxes together as a common-law couple etc. Do I need to notify IRCC of this break-up even though it doesn't affect my CRS score? Obviously, the top priority is to avoid misrepresentation but I also worry that it might affect my application in a negative way if I notify them. It shouldn't be grounds for refusal but I've seen a few cases where they seem to refuse first, ask questions after.

Any help would be appreciated.

a840722000

May 6, 2021
The applicant is responsible to notify IRCC for any status change including common-law, marital status and so on, even though it is not going to harm your CRS score. In your circumstances, It should NOT affect an officer to make their final decision due to the change of your common-law status. Hence, if I were you, I would raise a webform right away to inform IRCC to prevent you from misrepresenting your status.

Reactions: theafjioman

theafjioman

Star Member
Aug 5, 2019
The applicant is responsible to notify IRCC for any status change including common-law, marital status and so on, even though it is not going to harm your CRS score. In your circumstances, It should NOT affect an officer to make their final decision due to the change of your common-law status. Hence, if I were you, I would raise a webform right away to inform IRCC to prevent you from misrepresenting your status.
Thanks. I've submitted a webform to notify them. Fingers crossed this doesn't affect anything. I don't know what I would do if they rejected my application after 15 months of waiting.