+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common Law - Both living outside of Canada

roykeane

Sep 19, 2006
Hi,
My long term common-law partner and I wish to move to canada, here is a brief background to our situation

she is a canadian citizen
we both live in the UK
I am a British Citizen
She does not work
I am a Director of IT
We have approx £50k savings

We would like to apply for my permanent residence and I think applying under Common-law would do the trick, however I have heard conflicting information since my partner does not work and does not live in Canada? Based on anyones prior experience are we going down the right track or is there a better way to do it?

any help would be much appreciated

thanks

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

roykeane said:
Hi,
My long term common-law partner and I wish to move to canada, here is a brief background to our situation

she is a canadian citizen
we both live in the UK
I am a British Citizen
She does not work
I am a Director of IT
We have approx £50k savings

1. That is the only way to do it, and as she is a Canadian, she would be able to sponsor you while residing in the UK. She would have to include a statement with the application that once you are issued a visa that she would be returning to Canada. She would have to outline what steps you have taken for accommodation/work once she returns to Canada.

PMM

We would like to apply for my permanent residence and I think applying under Common-law would do the trick, however I have heard conflicting information since my partner does not work and does not live in Canada? Based on anyones prior experience are we going down the right track or is there a better way to do it?

any help would be much appreciated

thanks

roykeane

Sep 19, 2006
thanks for the speedy response:) my next question might be a little....silly but how can we provide proof of what steps we have taken to find work/accomodation until I have been accepted for permanent residence? I'd have no problems renting accomodation in Canada but if it takes 6-9 months for the visa it's a bit premature to be renting accomodation or looking for work until we get confirmation that I have been accepted.

Our plan was to move to Canada rent property before we go by paying for 6 months or a years rent up front, then go on a couple months tour of Canada before looking for work....With regards to work I was hoping to be a self employed consultant or get a paid job until we settle.

So my main questions are...

1/ What type of proof/evidence do they require regarding work/accomodation?
2/ Is our original plan feasible both from a practical and immigration point of view?
3/ Does it really only take 6-9 Months for a common-law application, if so why is it so much quicker than other applications??

This is a fantastic forum and apologies for babbling

Many thanks for your response so far!

roykeane

Sep 19, 2006
since my partner does not work, what affect will this have on the application, some of the forms indicate that she has to provide proof of how she will be able to support me?? we have savings but as i understand she is expected to support me for 3 yrs.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

roykeane said:
since my partner does not work, what affect will this have on the application, some of the forms indicate that she has to provide proof of how she will be able to support me?? we have savings but as i understand she is expected to support me for 3 yrs.
1. It will have no effect on the application as long as s/he is not collecting welfare, except for disability. She signs the undertaking and if you collect social assistance in the 3 years after landing, she will be required to re-imburse the government.
2. Your partner justs outlines what her intentions are:, "going to rent a hous in xxx, have checked online for rates, "going to stay with relatives/friends while searching for accommodation" " whether s/he intends to work"

PMM