+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common law application

P Min

Mar 22, 2024
My partner can I would like to apply common law. My partner is Citizen and I’m holding a work permit, which will expire May 2025. And we have been together in Canada for almost 5 years.

As we are planning to travel together at the end of 2024 and coming back in January 2025, is it possible to do Outland application and we can go in and out of Canada? And after coming back to Canada from the trip, can I still use my work permit, which will expire May 2025?

Thank you so much for your answers!

Last edited:

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My partner can I would like to apply common law. My partner is Citizen and I’m holding a work permit, which will expire May 2025. And we have been together in Canada for almost 5 years.

As we are planning to travel together at the end of 2024, it is possible to do Outland application and we can go and out of Canada?

And after coming back to Canada from the trip, can I still use my work permit, which will expire May 2025?

Also, what are the advantages and disadvantages of Outland application?

Thank you so much for your answers!
Yes to the first two questions.

Outland advantages- Free to leave Canada during the PR application process.

Inland- None, if you plan to leave Canada during the procss. Because you already hold a valid WP, you don't need the OWP that an Inland applicant would be eligible for after receiving the AoR (Acknowledgement of Receipt) email from IRCC.

If you apply now, you may get lucky and complete the process before you travel. BUT...if your PR is approved while you are outside of Canada, it would invalidate your WP (or any other visa you currently have), which could make returning to Canada tricky.

In any event, good luck and safe travels!

P Min

Mar 22, 2024
Yes to the first two questions.

Outland advantages- Free to leave Canada during the PR application process.

Inland- None, if you plan to leave Canada during the procss. Because you already hold a valid WP, you don't need the OWP that an Inland applicant would be eligible for after receiving the AoR (Acknowledgement of Receipt) email from IRCC.

If you apply now, you may get lucky and complete the process before you travel. BUT...if your PR is approved while you are outside of Canada, it would invalidate your WP (or any other visa you currently have), which could make returning to Canada tricky.

In any event, good luck and safe travels!
Thank you for your reply!

If my PR is approved while I am outside of Canada, is it possible to use Confirmation of Permanent Residence (CoPR) email as a proof to enter Canada? Once I get the CoPR, can I still work after coming back to Canada?

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you for your reply!

If my PR is approved while I am outside of Canada, is it possible to use Confirmation of Permanent Residence (CoPR) email as a proof to enter Canada? Once I get the CoPR, can I still work after coming back to Canada?
You would only get the COPR email if you are in Canada to be 'landed' virtually and complete that process. Then you would either need to enter at a land border (that is, via USA) or apply for a PRTD to travel by plane - this is assuming you don't get PR card in time.

If abroad when you get the passport request, would either have to wait to complete process OR sbmit passport to an office abroad while travelling. In most places that might take 2-4 weeks. You would get visa allowing to return and 'land' upon arrival.

So yes, it might be inconvenient.

I don't know how much time they give to return and do the virtual landing if you're abroad when the notification comes. I think they expect you to be there within a week or so, otherwise will tell you to submit passport abroad. I believe they would only cancel the existing OWP when you actually receive PR status, but honestly don't know.