+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common-Law application with break (sos)

SnowGAO

Oct 15, 2019
Dear forum,

I struggled with my situation as some immigration agents told me okay to apply and some said don't apply:

I arrived in Canada on September 27th, 2018 and stayed with my Canadian bf till January 13th, 2019, under a visitor visa; Then I went back to my country to apply for the young professional work permit (I got a job offer from a Canadian company), from mid of January till March 8th we were separated, then I live with my bf from March 9th till now (October 2019).

Till the end of November 2019, it will be a noncontinuous 1 year of cohabitation. Can I apply for the residence under the common law at the end of the year? I'm wondering if the 48 days break for applying the work permit is tolerated or not.

Also, I plan to visit my family next year for 4 weeks in February, I don't know how all these will impact my application, should I better wait till the end of my work permit to leave Canada? (In case I really have to fulfill 12 months of cohabitation)

Thank you all for your kind help!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Dear forum,

I struggled with my situation as some immigration agents told me okay to apply and some said don't apply:

I arrived in Canada on September 27th, 2018 and stayed with my Canadian bf till January 13th, 2019, under a visitor visa; Then I went back to my country to apply for the young professional work permit (I got a job offer from a Canadian company), from mid of January till March 8th we were separated, then I live with my bf from March 9th till now (October 2019).

Till the end of November 2019, it will be a noncontinuous 1 year of cohabitation. Can I apply for the residence under the common law at the end of the year? I'm wondering if the 48 days break for applying the work permit is tolerated or not.

Also, I plan to visit my family next year for 4 weeks in February, I don't know how all these will impact my application, should I better wait till the end of my work permit to leave Canada? (In case I really have to fulfill 12 months of cohabitation)

Thank you all for your kind help!
A 48 day break is too long and will be classified as a break in continuous cohabitation. Based on what we've seen on this forum, the maximum IRCC accepts is 3 weeks. You'll need to start counting the year from March 9, 2019 and you should keep your Feb trip to see your family to less than 3 weeks.

Reactions: SnowGAO

SnowGAO

Oct 15, 2019
A 48 day break is too long and will be classified as a break in continuous cohabitation. Based on what we've seen on this forum, the maximum IRCC accepts is 3 weeks. You'll need to start counting the year from March 9, 2019 and you should keep your Feb trip to see your family to less than 3 weeks.
Thank you Scylla.
According to the definition of IRCC, my travel to my home country is not a "family obligation", is it still work if I leave for less than 3 weeks?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thank you Scylla.
According to the definition of IRCC, my travel to my home country is not a "family obligation", is it still work if I leave for less than 3 weeks?
The reason is generally irrelevant. Just keep the visit short.