+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common-Law Application - this form must be completed by your common law partner

mautacus

Jun 1, 2020
Hello everyone,

I am completing my common-law applications as the sponsor. There are multiple documents for the Principle Application where their common-law partner ("whether accompanying you to Canada or not") needs to complete.

As the common-law sponsor, it seems a bit redundant and unnecessary for me to fill in these. I will if I must, of course. Just want to double check.

Thank you all.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello everyone,

I am completing my common-law applications as the sponsor. There are multiple documents for the Principle Application where their common-law partner ("whether accompanying you to Canada or not") needs to complete.

As the common-law sponsor, it seems a bit redundant and unnecessary for me to fill in these. I will if I must, of course. Just want to double check.

Thank you all.
Would help if you specify which firms you're referring to. Answer is most likely not, if you're the sponsor. Keep in mind some of the forms are used for non spousal applications - so it would apply to that spouse as accompanying the principal applicant for an economic form of immigration.

mautacus

Jun 1, 2020
Thanks for your reply armoured.

There were a few floating around, but for example:
IMM 5406 - Additional Family Information: the principle applicant, their spouse or common-law partner (if applicable) must complete their own copy of this form.

Also, I am in no shape or form a dependant, correct?

canadan_

Jan 26, 2020
Thanks for your reply armoured.

There were a few floating around, but for example:
IMM 5406 - Additional Family Information: the principle applicant, their spouse or common-law partner (if applicable) must complete their own copy of this form.

Also, I am in no shape or form a dependant, correct?
Correct, the sponsoring Canadian citizen or PR wouldn’t fill out their own version of the additional family info form as they are exempt. The same applies, for example, in the generic application form.

My understanding is these often lead to confusion for people applying in the spousal category because they are being sponsored by a spouse or common-law partner who is already a citizen or PR, but the forms are shared by applicants regardless of which stream they’re applying in, so for Express Entry for example the info is relevant as they can see if the applicant has a spouse or common law partner who need to be declared as they may be eligible to be sponsored in the future.

Hope that makes sense.

Reactions: armoured

mautacus

Jun 1, 2020
Another thing I want to confirm:

I'm reading about the open work permit and it said:
"If the sponsorship application hasn’t been submitted yet: Put the sponsorship, permanent residence and open work permit applications into one envelope."

Is the permanent residence application separate from a sponsorship application? Isn't sponsorship just another form of PR?
Thank you.

canadan_

Jan 26, 2020

"If the sponsorship application hasn’t been submitted yet: Put the sponsorship, permanent residence and open work permit applications into one envelope."

Is the permanent residence application separate from a sponsorship application? Isn't sponsorship just another form of PR?
Thank you.
I’m not entirely sure about how this fits with the OWP as we applied outland but I believe, technically, the sponsorship and PR app are ‘separate’ applications; for example when you check the status via the online tool (ECAS) you’ll see two different statuses, one for sponsorship and one for the PR app.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

Thank you.
They are separate applications, read carefully. You are applying to sponsor your spouse as a permanent resident. Your spouse is applying to become a permanent resident.