+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common-law Application question (Evidence)

May 15, 2012
Hi everyone, I have a question that may be hard to fully answer but it seems to be our biggest problem at this point. I am a Swedish citizen and me and my Canadian Common-law partner have been in process of applying for a permanent residence visa for me for quite a while now. We have managed to get all the application papers, the medical exams and all necessary official documents. However what really sets us back is knowing what to include in the evidence pile. We have two ideas of how extensive this part should be and don't really know what is enough. We have read on other forums and heard from friends and relatives that it all varies from a hundred pages to up to a thousand it seems like. It also seems hard knowing when we have enough evidence.

We have included shared residential addresses in both Sweden and Canada (She was not on the contract of the residence in Sweden but we have statutory declarations proving it along with photos and bills to the address), personal letters, bills, pictures, mail, postcards, statutory declarations from 5-6 family members and friends, Skype bill call lists, phone bills, flight tickets, online conversation from facebook and so forth, but we don't really know when we have enough. How can we approach this differently so we don't feel so lost and uncertain in this matter. Do we have enough? do we need more? how much evidence do they need from us to look at the application as a serious legit submission.

To give you an idea of our situation thus far in terms of relationship, I have lived and studied in Canada for 3 years, living with my common-law for about a year there until we moved to Sweden for about a year, living together and working here. We have traveled to both London and Copenhagen together during this time. Then we decided that we both wanted to live in Canada so we started this process and she moved back and got a job and an apartment for us. Thus far we have in our written statements and files, included information regarding this, showing that we clearly have lived together and spend time in both countries.

As a side note it may help to point out that we have both meet each others family and relatives several times, and made small trips with both her family and mine. Our parents have even met each other even though they live in Sweden and Canada. Which we feel may work to our advantage, as looking serious and proper.

Please help us get our heads around what we are missing and what's a good way to approach this without feeling like there can never be enough evidence.

GuerricH

Aug 29, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-02-2012
AOR Received.
12-06-2012
File Transfer...
17-07-2012
Med's Done....
21-11-2011
I think the important thing is that you document at least one year of shared assets and cohabitation, as well as an emotional bond and, preferably, proof that the relationship has been made public. So long as you have that - and it seems you do - you should be all right.

My girlfriend and I, who have been living together for around 2,5 years, sent in rental contracts (plus letter from the landlord, explaining that although we were each renting separate rooms, they were in the same apartment and indeed the only rooms in that apartment), letters from family, photos, plane and train tickets, hostel bookings, our entire e-mail correspondence, printouts of Facebook, a signed and notarized Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union, and information on our joint bank account, including the account information as well as transaction history showing shared expenses.

We don't know if we're successful just yet - and we have certainly worried about it - but we feel reasonably confident that the facts have been laid out properly; if so, things should be fine. You sound even better prepared, so I wouldn't worry too much!

EDIT: If there's anything I can think of that you didn't list, it might be financial stuff - bank account info, major purchases, etc. Also, your plane tickets, if you ever flew together. Still, sounds like you have quite a bit already! Don't worry, I'm sure you'll do all right.

Reactions: swedenTOcanada

Steph C

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 30 2012
Doc's Request.
N/A
File Transfer...
Sep 27 2012
Med's Request
April 15 2013 (re-med)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
March 18 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 22 2013
LANDED..........
June 6 2013
Maybe pictures of anniversary and birthday cards and gifts? It seems like you have a lot already. What you also need to document is your Canadian partner's plan to move back to Canada when you get the visa, such their job and where you will live.

May 15, 2012
Thanks everyone for all the comments. they Definitely helped. We We did get the PR in the end without issues. The application ended up being about a phone book worth of documents.

Key was to follow the guideline as much as possible, label everything into sections and descriptions.

We ended up including phone records, messenger lists, bills, fight tickets, emails, photos and anything with dates that we could get our hands on.