+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common Law and Open Work Permit

Daria Healme

Jun 19, 2017
Hi there,

Me and my partner was staying together for more than 1 year and have all the evidences to prove it. We applied for PGWP (for him) + OWP together, but my OWP got denied and I ended up being out of status. So, I have to go back home because of this, and my partner is staying in Canada.
Basically the question is: if I ended up leaving, will our common-law relationship still exist for immigration?
P.S. I hope to apply for OWP from my home country as soon as my partner will get a job. Not sure if our common-law relationships will be counted, as we won’t be leaving together since I was kicked out.

Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi there,

Me and my partner was staying together for more than 1 year and have all the evidences to prove it. We applied for PGWP (for him) + OWP together, but my OWP got denied and I ended up being out of status. So, I have to go back home because of this, and my partner is staying in Canada.
Basically the question is: if I ended up leaving, will our common-law relationship still exist for immigration?
P.S. I hope to apply for OWP from my home country as soon as my partner will get a job. Not sure if our common-law relationships will be counted, as we won’t be leaving together since I was kicked out.

Thanks
Hi

Your common-law status will continue. Your partner needs a NOC A, B or 0 job for you to qualify for an OWP.