+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common-law addition post COPR questions

duybachhpvn

Nov 22, 2018
Hi,

I got my COPR for myself back in Feb 2020 under Express Entry and Im outside of Canada. However, due to the covid-19, I could not travel and my COPR expired in June 2020. Last month IRCC contacted me to see if I wanted to reinstate the COPR and reopen the case. I agreed, but my circumstance has changed that I have lived with my partner since Feb 2020 till now, thus IRCC required me to provide evidence for common-law relationship.

I'm having some serious issue with getting the proof for 1 year cohabitation now because I did not expect to have my partner on my application at all, so that I did not retain much documents. I have the below ones only

1. Lease agreement with my partner as primary tenant from Feb 2020. My name is stated in later part as an occupant. I think this is the strongest evidence I have, but not enough
  2. I dont have any other joint document
  3. I have all of my individual bank statements pointing to the address from Feb 2020, same for my partner, but all are individual statements. We have statements from 2 banks for each of us
  4. I have some delivery invoices from Lazada and Shopee, Amazon delivered to me at this address, covering from Feb to Nov 2020 only
  5. All utilities are under my partner name only, so cannot be evidence
  6. I paid all the rent via bank transfers. But I dont have rent receipts, I can only point to the transactions in my bank statements that paid to landlord. Does this count?
  7. I obtained letters from friends and family testifying about our relationship and knowledge about our move in together
  8. I have a lot of Uber/Grab digital receipts that go to and from the address (like 90% of all receipts)
  9. I have tax documents from government that show both of me and my partner at the same address for 2020 and 2021, dated May 2020 and May 2021 respectively.
  10. My partner added me into her Corporate Insurance plan in Feb 2020. I have emails from the insurance company confirming the date they added me as a dependant, as well as a Certificate of Insurance that show I'm still under the plan. This is not cohabitation proof I guess, but it proved our relationship.
That's all I have. I'm worried that these evidence are weak, except for the lease agreement. I'm not sure if the scrutiny for outland is less than inland.

But I wonder what will happen if the addition of my partner as common law is rejected? Will my previously-approved application be rejected as well?

Last edited: