+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Common-in-Law Sponsorship Help

karlossig

Feb 28, 2019
Hello there to whoever it may concern. Me and partner have been cohabiting in canada since august of 2018 and at this time she has been on visitor status with one successful extension, one restoration(our fault, we passed the date on her visitor status expiry) and we applied again on february 28 2020 for another extension. We then received a refusal letter on the date of june 12, 2020 that her request was denied and that she had to leave the country immediately. Our purpose is to do an inland common-in-law sponsorship and we requested extensions due to the fact that we were working on getting our case stronger. We moved into a place of our own, got our bills together, joint bank account and i was in the process of putting her with my benefits and insurance at my new work. My question is that what can i include in her restoration application to make sure that she stays within canada and also to avoid future denials when extending her stay. I dont understand how CIC allows common-in-law to flourish if they didnt allow her extension? and would we have to wait for her status to be restored before possibly submitting our common-in-law application?

bian07

May 19, 2017
She technically doesnt need status for the sponsorship application, only if youd include a owp application. Also they probably think you could've already send the application in around August/ september, and not extend again and again, that might be reason for the refusal.

karlossig

Feb 28, 2019
She technically doesnt need status for the sponsorship application, only if youd include a owp application. Also they probably think you could've already send the application in around August/ september, and not extend again and again, that might be reason for the refusal.
Can we submit the fact that we were getting our papers ready? since i just got a new place of employment, i wanted to submit her to be a part of my benefits plan. can you also explain to me what would cic do if she doesnt have any status and how would that affect our common in law sponsorhip? also what would our chances be if we try to restore her status? thank you very much for the quick reply!

karlossig

Feb 28, 2019
also weve always thought that she needed status as long as shes in canada.

Joeydocs

Sep 5, 2017
Pickering
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Hello there to whoever it may concern. Me and partner have been cohabiting in canada since august of 2018 and at this time she has been on visitor status with one successful extension, one restoration(our fault, we passed the date on her visitor status expiry) and we applied again on february 28 2020 for another extension. We then received a refusal letter on the date of june 12, 2020 that her request was denied and that she had to leave the country immediately. Our purpose is to do an inland common-in-law sponsorship and we requested extensions due to the fact that we were working on getting our case stronger. We moved into a place of our own, got our bills together, joint bank account and i was in the process of putting her with my benefits and insurance at my new work. My question is that what can i include in her restoration application to make sure that she stays within canada and also to avoid future denials when extending her stay. I dont understand how CIC allows common-in-law to flourish if they didnt allow her extension? and would we have to wait for her status to be restored before possibly submitting our common-in-law application?
order gcms notes and see the officers reason for refusal.

Joeydocs

Sep 5, 2017
Pickering
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Also she will not have implied status from owp until IRCC acknowledges your submission of pr with an Acknowledgement of receipt. She can't apply for restoration if its been over 90 days since her status expired.

karlossig

Feb 28, 2019
Thank you for the reply. We just got off cic call centre and they have been giving us mixed information. One lady said that its been 90 days but one said that our 90 days started once we received the letter.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My guess is that the main problem is how long she has been in Canada without the common law application having been submitted. It's pretty close to two years of her being here. Most people who are going the common law path live together for a year and then apply immediately. In these situations, its very easy to get the extension. I think it's not really that surprising that she was refused. It's simply been too long a visit without an application being submitted and IRCC is probably questioning her true intentions now. Can you get the inland application together and submit it asap? Best evidence IMO would be to show that the inland sponsorship application has already been submitted when you apply for restoration.

karlossig

Feb 28, 2019
My guess is that the main problem is how long she has been in Canada without the common law application having been submitted. It's pretty close to two years of her being here. Most people who are going the common law path live together for a year and then apply immediately. In these situations, its very easy to get the extension. I think it's not really that surprising that she was refused. It's simply been too long a visit without an application being submitted and IRCC is probably questioning her true intentions now. Can you get the inland application together and submit it asap? Best evidence IMO would be to show that the inland sponsorship application has already been submitted when you apply for restoration.
Thank you this reply! yes, that makes sense. it is our fault by thinking that we needed more documents in order to solidify our case. We contacted a consultant and he advised us to submit all the forms together including our common-in-law application, restoration and open work permit. How does that sound?

Joeydocs

Sep 5, 2017
Pickering
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Thank you this reply! yes, that makes sense. it is our fault by thinking that we needed more documents in order to solidify our case. We contacted a consultant and he advised us to submit all the forms together including our common-in-law application, restoration and open work permit. How does that sound?
I applied for a visitors extension on April 18th because we were delayed on submitting the app. However I was a student then worker. Not sure if that could impact my application, but at the time of submitting the application for a visitors record nothing was submitted and stated that we are applying for a visitors extension because some government agencies in New Jersey where I’m from we’re closed way before some in Canada so there was no way I could’ve submitted at the time. However two months later we just submitted the app. I’m hoping I get AOR before a decision is made on the visitors just in case of a refusal. I wish I could send them the receipt that I paid for the inland sponsorship app.

bian07

May 19, 2017
I applied for a visitors extension on April 18th because we were delayed on submitting the app. However I was a student then worker. Not sure if that could impact my application, but at the time of submitting the application for a visitors record nothing was submitted and stated that we are applying for a visitors extension because some government agencies in New Jersey where I’m from we’re closed way before some in Canada so there was no way I could’ve submitted at the time. However two months later we just submitted the app. I’m hoping I get AOR before a decision is made on the visitors just in case of a refusal. I wish I could send them the receipt that I paid for the inland sponsorship app.
You can send them a webform with the receipt. I did that for my visitor extension that I applied for in february, after we sent the sponsorship +owp application at the beginning of may. They messaged me saying they will forward the info to the office that will process the visitor extension but I'm still waiting on it.

Joeydocs

Sep 5, 2017
Pickering
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
You can send them a webform with the receipt. I did that for my visitor extension that I applied for in february, after we sent the sponsorship +owp application at the beginning of may. They messaged me saying they will forward the info to the office that will process the visitor extension but I'm still waiting on it.
How long did it take for them to message you? I sent an inquiry the other day about extra fees for the sponsorship app. I attached extra fees but no one got back to me. I just sent another form regarding the visitors extension with the receipts of the application fee.

bian07

May 19, 2017
How long did it take for them to message you? I sent an inquiry the other day about extra fees for the sponsorship app. I attached extra fees but no one got back to me. I just sent another form regarding the visitors extension with the receipts of the application fee.
It took them about a week to respond

Joeydocs

Sep 5, 2017
Pickering
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
It took them about a week to respond
they finally responded:

Good day xxxxxx,

Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

We verified the information you provided. Since the application has not been entered in our system yet, we invite you to resubmit these documents once the processing of the application starts. We will then be able to forward them to the responsible office.

You may visit our website to see how long it may take to process the application.

Furthermore, your feedback is important to us. You may submit a comment, compliment or complaint about IRCC services, performance or processes, such as:

• Application processing times,
  • Services,
  • Fees or refunds,
  • Online tools or the IRCC website,
  • Policy and legislation,
  • Etc.
In order to do so, please fill out the feedback form available on our website.

We hope the information provided is helpful in assisting you with your enquiry.

We would also like to suggest the following online services that might be helpful to you with any immigration, refugee and/or citizenship future requests:

Sincerely,

Tristan, agent 4295
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
https://www.canada.ca/en/services/immigration-citizenship.html