+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Commom Law Sponsorship, Immigration Lawyer needed?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi there, I submitted an Inland application in August 2020. My spouse sponsored me and we prepared the documents together. While it is possible to prepare the documentation on your own, I have seen people's applications returned for many minor issues (that could be fixed with an email correspondence, for example). Given the delay of processing due to the pandemic, I regret not having someone at least look over my documentation.

If you guys can afford it, I would recommend you have a paralegal look over your final application package. Paralegals are typically less expensive than lawyers and you would at least have the peace of mind when you submit your application that you haven't made any "silly" errors.
Any applicant should triple, quadruple check their app before submitting.

Unfortunately lawyer or consultant is not a guarantee of no mistakes - as multiple cases here attest. Applicant remains responsible if any mistakes,omissions, or misrepresentations.

So sure, for those who wish to have a third party to check, by all means. Or simply for those for whom the aid in completing is worth the money.

But again - don't rely on those third parties. The applicant bears all the responsibility. Check carefully.

Reactions: dillym

OrangeMapleIsHome

Star Member
Aug 7, 2019
Hi there, I submitted an Inland application in August 2020. My spouse sponsored me and we prepared the documents together. While it is possible to prepare the documentation on your own, I have seen people's applications returned for many minor issues (that could be fixed with an email correspondence, for example). Given the delay of processing due to the pandemic, I regret not having someone at least look over my documentation.

If you guys can afford it, I would recommend you have a paralegal look over your final application package. Paralegals are typically less expensive than lawyers and you would at least have the peace of mind when you submit your application that you haven't made any "silly" errors.
Thank you so much for this information. This is kind of the route we think we will be going with our application.

Can I ask what you meant by email correspondence? As in writing to a lawyer or paralegal? We would love to have someone look over our application package prior to sending it, and the fee for a lawyer is so steep for us. Can you recommend any? I will also search the forums for this information, but just thought I'd ask..

Was your application quite delayed because of the pandemic? We sort of understand that if your IEC runs out you have implied status and can stay while your application is decided upon? I hope that's right..

dillym

Star Member
Nov 14, 2019
Any applicant should triple, quadruple check their app before submitting.

Unfortunately lawyer or consultant is not a guarantee of no mistakes - as multiple cases here attest. Applicant remains responsible if any mistakes,omissions, or misrepresentations.

So sure, for those who wish to have a third party to check, by all means. Or simply for those for whom the aid in completing is worth the money.

But again - don't rely on those third parties. The applicant bears all the responsibility. Check carefully.
Yes this too. Triple and quadruple check your own documentation.

dillym

Star Member
Nov 14, 2019
Thank you so much for this information. This is kind of the route we think we will be going with our application.

Can I ask what you meant by email correspondence? As in writing to a lawyer or paralegal? We would love to have someone look over our application package prior to sending it, and the fee for a lawyer is so steep for us. Can you recommend any? I will also search the forums for this information, but just thought I'd ask..

Was your application quite delayed because of the pandemic? We sort of understand that if your IEC runs out you have implied status and can stay while your application is decided upon? I hope that's right..
All I mean is that if you make a stupid, small error your application will definitely be returned. They do not contact you to correct even the smallest errors by email/mail/web forms. If your application gets returned over a small error, especially given COVID, you would lose time over nothing that the government could have people correct by email/mail/web forms. I'm basically pointing out that you do not want to become victim to the idiotic aspects of immigration bureaucracy.

Having the reassurance from a third party that your application is complete would reduce your anxiety of having your application returned over a dumb error. Do not forget that it is important that you and your spouse check the application multiple times.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
All I mean is that if you make a stupid, small error your application will definitely be returned. ...

Having the reassurance from a third party that your application is complete would reduce your anxiety of having your application returned over a dumb error. Do not forget that it is important that you and your spouse check the application multiple times.
Again, the warning that I am making is that you cannot rely on the third party to make sure your application is complete or free of dumb errors (multiple examples seen here).

If it helps you to have someone else participate or check for you, great (I think it does help just to have a different set of eyes look at it); but it can't be a substitute for the applicant/sponsor checking carefully themselves.

PreferredRobot

Star Member
Nov 15, 2019
Manitoba
Wait till after February 2021. 1 year for common law.
proooof proof prooof

This is what we sent hope it helps:
(All showing both names)

Pictures lots
Beneficiary showing partners name
Insurance (home & auto)
Cell phones
Home lease/own both names
Pictures of all the gifts we gave each other (wrote date and occasion)
Cable/internet bill
Bank accounts
Credit cards
Electricity bill
Water bill
Oil bill
Tickets (travelling together)
Letter from our family doctor

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Wait till after February 2021. 1 year for common law.
proooof proof prooof

This is what we sent hope it helps:
(All showing both names)

Pictures lots
Beneficiary showing partners name
Insurance (home & auto)
Cell phones
Home lease/own both names
Pictures of all the gifts we gave each other (wrote date and occasion)
Cable/internet bill
Bank accounts
Credit cards
Electricity bill
Water bill
Oil bill
Tickets (travelling together)
Letter from our family doctor
You should only submit 20 photos as stated in the instructions.