08-05-2012
File Transfer...
08-08-2012
Med's Done....
15-04-2012
VISA ISSUED...
21-01-2013
Hi Everyone,

my boyfriend and I are currently putting our application together for common law sponsorship, so bloody tiresome! But we're almost there!

I have a question about the commissioner of oaths. Do we have to get this signed, and if so, who does it? I thought i read somewhere that you only need it signed if you are using a co-signer (speaking of which, can someone explain a little better what the co-signer is?).

Also, on a side note - for the medical, i know we have to take passport pictures, are these just normal Canadian sized passport pics?

Thank you in advance!!

Lauren

Louise86

Star Member
Oct 6, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-11-2011
AOR Received.
15-12-11
File Transfer...
13-01-12
Med's Done....
12/10/2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
15-03-12 (Decision Made)
VISA ISSUED...
16-03-12 (COPR arrived in post)
LANDED..........
Landing on 28/05/2012
Hi Lauren!

My partner and I had a commissioner of oaths witness our Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union, and two of our family members also had a commissioner witness their Statutory Declarations for use in our application. I believe it's a requirement to include at least two statutory declarations for common-law (I think I remember reading that somewhere!), but I could be wrong!

I've heard that by law in the UK it should cost no more than around £7 to have a document sworn by a commissioner. But because of this, the solicitor's office we used tried to encourage us to have the document notarised - which is a different thing entirely and not necessary for this (and costs around £90!), so don't let them make you think you need to have it notarised - a signature from a commissioner will do just fine!

A co-signer (from what I understand) would be used in a scenario where, for instance, you were sponsoring a parent to immigrate, but you alone didn't meet the necessary minimum income requirements. In this case, you and your partner (or co-signer) could pool together your incomes in order to support the family member you're sponsoring. So in your case, it wouldn't apply. :)

And lastly, from memory I think we used standard British passport-sized photographs for the medical - but maybe someone else will be able to correct me on this? :)

Best of luck with the application! It's such a relief when it's all sent off - and London (I assume that's the VO you'll be applying through?) seems to be working very quickly at the moment!

:)

Laurenhannah

Star Member
Jan 17, 2012
Toronto
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-05-2012
File Transfer...
08-08-2012
Med's Done....
15-04-2012
VISA ISSUED...
21-01-2013
Louise86 said:
Hi Lauren!

My partner and I had a commissioner of oaths witness our Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union, and two of our family members also had a commissioner witness their Statutory Declarations for use in our application. I believe it's a requirement to include at least two statutory declarations for common-law (I think I remember reading that somewhere!), but I could be wrong!

I've heard that by law in the UK it should cost no more than around £7 to have a document sworn by a commissioner. But because of this, the solicitor's office we used tried to encourage us to have the document notarised - which is a different thing entirely and not necessary for this (and costs around £90!), so don't let them make you think you need to have it notarised - a signature from a commissioner will do just fine!

A co-signer (from what I understand) would be used in a scenario where, for instance, you were sponsoring a parent to immigrate, but you alone didn't meet the necessary minimum income requirements. In this case, you and your partner (or co-signer) could pool together your incomes in order to support the family member you're sponsoring. So in your case, it wouldn't apply. :)

And lastly, from memory I think we used standard British passport-sized photographs for the medical - but maybe someone else will be able to correct me on this? :)

Best of luck with the application! It's such a relief when it's all sent off - and London (I assume that's the VO you'll be applying through?) seems to be working very quickly at the moment!

:)

Hi Louise,

thank you so much for your response. I have been hearing that processing is quite quick so fingers crossed! We are sending everything in on May 1st so just getting everything together now.

We are actually living in Canada (but applying via London) so i'm hoping Canadian sized passport pics will be okay. (maybe they're the same anyway, who knows!) Is it right that we have to take 5 pictures to the medical?

Thanks again!

Nathan75

Apr 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-April-2012
AOR Received.
Stage 1 11-July-2012, Stage 2 27-Sep-2012
File Transfer...
11-July-2012
Med's Done....
04-April-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Visa Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
03-10-2012
LANDED..........
Soon
Laurenhannah said:
Hi Louise,

thank you so much for your response. I have been hearing that processing is quite quick so fingers crossed! We are sending everything in on May 1st so just getting everything together now.

We are actually living in Canada (but applying via London) so i'm hoping Canadian sized passport pics will be okay. (maybe they're the same anyway, who knows!) Is it right that we have to take 5 pictures to the medical?

Thanks again!
Hi,

I'm doing the same, I had my medical on wednesday they asked for 6 photos but luckily I gave them 8 as they used 7, im not sure they were all necessary but better safe than sorry to get extra.

I got mine taken at costco, they will take and cut the pictures to the right size, they are smaller than the usual UK passport photos

Nathan