+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Commission based Job viability for Immigration purposes.

elluel

Jun 22, 2020
Hi guys, I've recently got my pgwp and I have a job offer for a insurance agent position, however it is 100% commission based. I've done a lot of digging for whether or not if this sort of job is viable for Express entry or CEC, however I've been getting mixed results.

I want to make it clear for everyone, and I am wondering in what scenarios allow for commission based jobs like an insurance agent for it to qualify for the jobs that are required.

Hopefully we can reach a verdict.

Thank you so much.

Reactions: JapaneseInMB

JapaneseInMB

Star Member
May 27, 2020
Winnipeg
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
18-07-2020
Med's Done....
10-10-2020
LANDED..........
22-11-2020
Hi guys, I've recently got my pgwp and I have a job offer for a insurance agent position, however it is 100% commission based. I've done a lot of digging for whether or not if this sort of job is viable for Express entry or CEC, however I've been getting mixed results.

I want to make it clear for everyone, and I am wondering in what scenarios allow for commission based jobs like an insurance agent for it to qualify for the jobs that are required.

Hopefully we can reach a verdict.

Thank you so much.
IRCC recognizes "commission" as a valid form of remuneration along with salary and hourly wages.
But in your case, your income from this occupation is 100% commission based. Therefore, IRCC may consider this position as an independent contractor, which is not considered as employment.

Therefore,
1. you must be able to prove that you are an employee of the company you specify in your EE application
2. you must also be able to prove that you have some reasonable income. Notice that IRCC does not count any non-paid work experience.
3. you must have skilled work experience, meaning work in occupations listed at NOC Skill Type 0 (managerial), or NOC Skill Level A (professional occupations) or NOC skill Level B (technical and trade occupations).

Here is the reference: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=665&top=29

Reactions: elluel

elluel

Jun 22, 2020
IRCC recognizes "commission" as a valid form of remuneration along with salary and hourly wages.
But in your case, your income from this occupation is 100% commission based. Therefore, IRCC may consider this position as an independent contractor, which is not considered as employment.

Therefore,
1. you must be able to prove that you are an employee of the company you specify in your EE application
2. you must also be able to prove that you have some reasonable income. Notice that IRCC does not count any non-paid work experience.
3. you must have skilled work experience, meaning work in occupations listed at NOC Skill Type 0 (managerial), or NOC Skill Level A (professional occupations) or NOC skill Level B (technical and trade occupations).

Here is the reference: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=665&top=29
HI thank you for the response. I do appreciate it.

I wanted to ask a question. How would I go about proving that I am an "employee" of the company? Do you know who at the company decides these sort of things? Thank you.

Reactions: JapaneseInMB

JapaneseInMB

Star Member
May 27, 2020
Winnipeg
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
18-07-2020
Med's Done....
10-10-2020
LANDED..........
22-11-2020
HI thank you for the response. I do appreciate it.

I wanted to ask a question. How would I go about proving that I am an "employee" of the company? Do you know who at the company decides these sort of things? Thank you.
Please talk to your immediate manager for help. Most managers are willing to help out concerns like this. In fact, it should be their duty. Also, be sure to talk to HR department of your company to get the letter of employment. I am also sure that you should have received a valid job offer, which states that you are an employee of the company. Check that out as well.