+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Commission Based Canadian Work Experience Eligibility for PR

Anirudhs91

Jul 21, 2019
I am in a Commission based job for almost a year now. I am receiving commissions on the minimum wage rate. My employer has issued me a reference letter which says I have been earning commissions for 40 hours per week at the minimum wages for **so called period** (tentatively it has been 10 months now).

My job is as per my NOC code in category B

Catch:
In some work schedules over these 10 months, I was not working complete 40 hours. I had worked some times for 20 - 25 hours as well. When I calculated those are not coming equal to the required number of hours for CEC category
My employer will be issuing me T4a - for the commission based job

Please help me understand how do I go ahead with applying my PR?

mikko008

Feb 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Visa Office......
Vancouver
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
13-OCT-2016
Doc's Request.
4-NOV-2016
Nomination.....
10-NOV-2016
AOR Received.
13-APR-2017
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
Unknown
Med's Request
01-03-2018
Med's Done....
05-03-2018
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Not Yet
VISA ISSUED...
Not Yet
LANDED..........
Not Yet (Inland Applicant)
I am in a Commission based job for almost a year now. I am receiving commissions on the minimum wage rate. My employer has issued me a reference letter which says I have been earning commissions for 40 hours per week at the minimum wages for **so called period** (tentatively it has been 10 months now).

Catch:
In some work schedules over these 10 months, I was not working complete 40 hours. I had worked some times for 20 - 25 hours as well. When I calculated those are not coming equal to the required number of hours for CEC category

Under CEC, you must complete one-year work experience (12 months AND 1560 hours). They will not coount any hours above 30 hours/week towards that 1560 hours. For example, you work from Aug 2018 to Aug 2019 (12 months must be met first), out of that 12 months, you work 40 hours per week for six months, and 25 hours per week for the other six months, you should calculate your qualified hours like this:

30 hours X 26 week (6 months) = 780 hours
25 hours X 26 weeks (6 months) = 650 hours

The total comes to 1,430 which is lower than the required 1,560 hours. you need to work for extra 130 hours (about 6 more weeks on a 25-hour-per-week schedule) before you can be eligible to apply under CEC.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Catch:

You'll need to work 2+ months before you will qualify for CEC. Here's how you do the calculation to determine if you qualify:

- For each week where you worked 30+ hours, count this as one week (doesn't matter if you worked 30, 60 or 90 hours).
- For each week where you worked fewer than 30 hours, add the hours together and divide by 30.
- When the total of the two calculations above equals 52, you will qualify to apply.

Reactions: jes_ON

terriw90

Aug 18, 2019
Another question I have about this, I am also paid commission. I work in a hair salon and I split everything I do 50/50. I do get holiday pay etc through them. However there may be times where it may not equal minimum wage. I have tweeted IRCC about this, and they have said they don't have a salary cap on what you should earn for your 12 months work experience. Just wondered if anyone else has dealt with this??

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Another question I have about this, I am also paid commission. I work in a hair salon and I split everything I do 50/50. I do get holiday pay etc through them. However there may be times where it may not equal minimum wage. I have tweeted IRCC about this, and they have said they don't have a salary cap on what you should earn for your 12 months work experience. Just wondered if anyone else has dealt with this??
Not really sure what your question is... ? Your letter of employment needs to describe the details of your remuneration plus benefits. That way IRCC will be able to accurately assess your work experience. You can provide a letter of explanation if you feel it is necessary.

Ozeei

Sep 15, 2019
Not really sure what your question is... ? Your letter of employment needs to describe the details of your remuneration plus benefits. That way IRCC will be able to accurately assess your work experience. You can provide a letter of explanation if you feel it is necessary.
Hi Jes,

I have been reading your replies on some of the posts here and I can tell you're knowledgable when it comes to requirements.

I have a question regarding the "commission based" jobs, hopefully you can help!

From November 2015 until September 2016 I worked at a job as a life insurance salesperson which falls in NOC B. However, when I worked there I made only 1 sale for $1000. I was on a PGWP and was lucky enough to have my family support me financially (and emotionally, haha) - thank god.
I can probably obtain a letter of experience stating that I worked there. Should the compensation portion be "commission only" or should it state the amount ($1000)? Also, does it matter if I barely made any money working there?

I managed to work at a different job afterwards and currently have 1 year and 6 months experience. I am trying to complete a full 2 years of experience in order to fork out as many points as I can. On a side note, I completed the english test 7 times in hopes to increase my CRS (they are very strict with marking the writing section).

Thank you in advance for your help!
Ozeei

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
I have a question regarding the "commission based" jobs, hopefully you can help!

From November 2015 until September 2016 I worked at a job as a life insurance salesperson which falls in NOC B. However, when I worked there I made only 1 sale for $1000. I was on a PGWP and was lucky enough to have my family support me financially (and emotionally, haha) - thank god.
I can probably obtain a letter of experience stating that I worked there. Should the compensation portion be "commission only" or should it state the amount ($1000)? Also, does it matter if I barely made any money working there?

So you worked full time for 10 months and earned only 1,000? Is that what you are saying?

OK, first - there are commission-based employees, and commission-based self-employed contractors. I suspect you were the latter, which means that the experience is not eligible. You would have to check the terms of your contract to determine this (if you are not sure).

If you were self-employed, you should not list this in your profile. Later, if you get an ITA, you would have to list it in your personal history.

I managed to work at a different job afterwards and currently have 1 year and 6 months experience. I am trying to complete a full 2 years of experience in order to fork out as many points as I can.

On a side note, I completed the english test 7 times in hopes to increase my CRS (they are very strict with marking the writing section).
which test? IELTS? Have you tried the CELPIP, or vice versa?

Just taking the test over and over again without taking a course or studying... not a receipe for success... why not take a writing course while you try to complete your 2nd year of experience?

Ozeei

Sep 15, 2019
Ah I see, yes i believe I was "self-employed", I'll double check just incase.
Yes, I tried both the CELPIP and the IELTS. I completed the CELPIP 3 times and the IELTS 3 times, my 4th is tomorrow.
Oh I've taken courses at a language institution, studied from online sources such as youtube, and for some reason it is not helping. A lot of people get stuck at 6.5 for the writing, hopefully this time i'll nail it. My PGWP expired so I need to get the result as soon as possible.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Ah I see, yes i believe I was "self-employed", I'll double check just incase.
Yes, I tried both the CELPIP and the IELTS. I completed the CELPIP 3 times and the IELTS 3 times, my 4th is tomorrow.
Oh I've taken courses at a language institution, studied from online sources such as youtube, and for some reason it is not helping. A lot of people get stuck at 6.5 for the writing, hopefully this time i'll nail it. My PGWP expired so I need to get the result as soon as possible.
This is concerning... When did your work permit expire? Have you applied for a new one? If not, have you stopped working?

Ozeei

Sep 15, 2019
Yes, work permit expired on 3rd of May 2019 but on the 2nd of May 2019 I applied for an open work permit. I kept on working since I was under implied status. It got declined since i'm not eligible for one so I stopped working then. Now I have applied for a visitor visa in order to remain in Canada legally. CRS scores are at an all time high so hopefully once I improve my writing result it will boost my score and, therefore, get my ITA.

Reactions: jes_ON

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Yes, work permit expired on 3rd of May 2019 but on the 2nd of May 2019 I applied for an open work permit. I kept on working since I was under implied status. It got declined since i'm not eligible for one so I stopped working then. Now I have applied for a visitor visa in order to remain in Canada legally. CRS scores are at an all time high so hopefully once I improve my writing result it will boost my score and, therefore, get my ITA.
Got it... your first post made it sound like you were still working (trying to get 2 years at your new job). Good luck!

Ozeei

Sep 15, 2019
Got it... your first post made it sound like you were still working (trying to get 2 years at your new job). Good luck!
Oh no, sorry for the confusion. Thank you and I genuinely appreciate your responses. All the best!