+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Coming to Canada on a one-way ticket?

cdnagaya

Jan 24, 2017
My daughter (finally) has received her proof of citizenship card. Can she now fly to Canada on a one-way ticket, so we can start the process of getting her a passport? Or do you need the passport first in order to do this?

tmota

Star Member
Nov 24, 2016
Montreal - Quebec
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Read this: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/dual-canadian-citizens.asp

From my understanding, she will need the passport for entering Canada - since she will no longer have the PR card. The Citizenship Certificate is not a travel document, hence the need for the passport.

cdnagaya

Jan 24, 2017
Well, she is only 2 now so has never had a PR card. She will fly to Canada with her Japanese passport, but because she now has proof that she is a Canadian citizen, I wondered if she could come on a one-way ticket and not the new ETA requirements of having a return ticket....

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

cdnagaya said:
Well, she is only 2 now so has never had a PR card. She will fly to Canada with her Japanese passport, but because she now has proof that she is a Canadian citizen, I wondered if she could come on a one-way ticket and not the new ETA requirements of having a return ticket....
1. They won't issue an ETA to her since she is a citizen. So you are going to have to get her a passport.