+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Coming from the UK, is honesty the best policy?

Littlemiss

Mar 5, 2012
Hi,

I am a British citizen and I am going to Vancouver later this month for 4 months to be with my boyfriend and will return to the UK afterwards. I will be providing proof of funds and property lease in the UK but I will not have proof of work as I have given this up so I can have a break, my job would not let me have the time off and in my line of work it will be easy for me to walk into a new job when I return as I already have interviews lined up etc.

I have already been in Vancouver last December and this May so it will be my 3rd visit in a year, is this likely to give me a red flag?

I have a friend who is over there on a holiday working visa from the UK so I am going to say I am staying with her instead of my boyfriend as I think this may cause an issue with them letting me stay 4 months? is it better to be honest about him or just say I am staying with my friend as planned. My friend is going to meet me at the airport just in case I have any issues so she to confirm my story? I just hate lying but I don't want them to not let me stay for 4 months so I feel it is safer to say about my friend instead of him.

Also in terms of insurance, can anyone recommend the best cover to use for a 4 month stay?

Thanks for any help.

irritated

Star Member
Jan 9, 2012
hi im from the uk currently in canada i got my insurance online before i came here as i found it much cheaper than the travel agents my insurance was only 67 for 141 days cover and what i bought satisfied the immigration for my lenght of stay

irritated

Star Member
Jan 9, 2012
i also told immigration at vancouver i was having a vacation with friends and even told them where i would be staying as i was asked before they stamped my passport

larryUK

Star Member
Mar 13, 2012
irritated said:
hi im from the uk currently in canada i got my insurance online before i came here as i found it much cheaper than the travel agents my insurance was only 67 for 141 days cover and what i bought satisfied the immigration for my lenght of stay
Be helpful if you said what website online though! I think I paid around £70 for 3 months cover initially last year which was the cheapest I could find online (I do actually forget the site though lol and have deleted the old emails now)but sounds like you've found somewhere even cheaper?

Littlemiss I have been through pretty much exactly what you're doing, I flew in last October for a 3 month stay (initially) which was also my third (and longest) stay over the previous year. I was honest and said I was staying with my girlfriend (I have always told them that right from my first visit), yes I was sent to immigration (I would of thought likely you will be this time but you never know)which was a bit of worry at the time as was the first time I had been sent there but really it was not a problem they only asked a few questions and made sure I had a return ticket (that is probably important). All they like to do is give you a Visitor Record which gives more strict times on when you must leave by though I had no problems extending my 3 month VR to 6 months and a further extension to 9 months (though came back to UK after 7 months).

I would be wary about lying as I would of thought it would seem obvious to an officer that if someone is making frequent visits over a year or so and a lengthy visit that it's quite likely because of a partner, so may set alarm bells ringing if they think you might be lying. But it's up to you, seems unlikely they would not let you stay.

BTW I've been back in England for a few months but am returning to Canada next month, I ama little worried yeh about getting through immigration ok though can't see it being too much of a problem.

OnlineInsPro

Star Member
Dec 12, 2011
As a general rule, I agree that honesty is always the best policy. You don't necessarily have to tell the officer every detail of your visit but certainly you should answer their questions honestly as that way you can never be tripped up.

In terms of the insurance, you will find that rates vary depending upon your age and the amount you are purchasing. Please check out my website at http://travelinsure.ca for an easy to use comparison calculator. If you like what you see, you can purchase the policy instantly online.

Tracy DesLaurier - Super Visa and Travel Insurance Expert
TravelInsure.ca
1-888-933-7462

larryUK

Star Member
Mar 13, 2012
Hi Littlemiss, I was wondering how you got on??

Myself I will give my story now. I am back in Canada since last week after 5 months in England and I was amazed how plain sailing it went! I was not sent off to immigration or even issued a Visitor Record which was the least I was expecting after my previous time, all I got was the stamp in passport and automatic 6 months if I want.

I flew direct into St Johns NL, which is the first time I have been able fly direct there as my 'port of entry', usually I have to go via Halifax or Montreal. I think this made a difference as it's only a small airport, the border guard seemed very friendly and easy going, they only had 3 desks.

Anyway I was totally honest with the guard that I was coming to stay with my girlfriend again, I have a return ticket booked which helps (and it's easy and relatively cheap to change the return date). The guard seen my old visitor records in my folder, I thought then I was bound to be issued another but it seemed to put her at ease, she asked me had they ever asked to see proof of financial support, I was honest and said no they haven't. She also asked a stupid question "have you ever worked here for cash?"...again I was honest and said no but as if anyone would admit to that if they had!! lol Basically just asked me how I was supporting myself, which is savings and of course accomdation etc is living with girlfriend. A few questions about how long known each other etc, I said we were planning to get married which she basically encouraged me to do lol.

I was at the desk no more than a few mins before she said I wont be issuing visitor record this time, stamped passport and I was gone. Totally amazed I was! I suppose she could see I had a good travel history of returning but I was expecting a tougher time, lovely people here in St Johns even the border guards! :D

Littlemiss

Mar 5, 2012
Hi Larry,

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you but I have not been back on here. Glad to hear you had no problems getting through, I hope you are having a wonderful time with your girlfriend.

I had a bit of a drama as when I landed in Vancouver, the pilot annouced that Immigration were coming on the plane to check everyone details so of course I started worrying, thankfully I got asked no questions and then my passport was only looked at. Then I had to go through immigration where they just asked why I was here and I said seeing friends, my passport was stamped and off I went. What I wanted to see as the stamp does not give a date, does it mean I can stay for 6 months? On the form you fill out I said I was here for 4 months, I would like to stay for 6 so do I have to extend it with immigration or am automatically allowed for 6 months?

Thanks for everyone else advice and sorry for the late reply again.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Littlemiss said:
Hi Larry,

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you but I have not been back on here. Glad to hear you had no problems getting through, I hope you are having a wonderful time with your girlfriend.

I had a bit of a drama as when I landed in Vancouver, the pilot annouced that Immigration were coming on the plane to check everyone details so of course I started worrying, thankfully I got asked no questions and then my passport was only looked at. Then I had to go through immigration where they just asked why I was here and I said seeing friends, my passport was stamped and off I went. What I wanted to see as the stamp does not give a date, does it mean I can stay for 6 months? On the form you fill out I said I was here for 4 months, I would like to stay for 6 so do I have to extend it with immigration or am automatically allowed for 6 months?

No document issued, no date under stamp, you were admitted for 6 months.

larryUK

Star Member
Mar 13, 2012
Littlemiss said:
Hi Larry,

That's great news. Yeh just the stamp in passport gives you 6 months automatically, you can even try extending beyond that, it's not been a problem for me. I have never heard of immigration coming onto the plane wonder why they did that as Vancouver must have quite a large immigration desk etc

Having a great time yes, been here almost 3 weeks now time sure does fly. Still surprised I got in so easy with just a stamp, I had landed in Halifax the previous time I have heard they can be quite strict there more so than other places...don't know if it's true or not but certainly was my experience.

Littlemiss

Mar 5, 2012
Hi Larry, I am glad you had no problems. It is so wrong that we are made to feel like we are treading on egg shells to just be with the person we love. Good to know now I have 6 months as was not sure.

Sorry for another question but you seemed to be know quite a bit about this and good to chat to another English person. My friend has asked me to go to seattle next week for a couple days, its only an hours drive from Vancouver. Do you think it is a risk doing that as it means coming back through immigration? I have my return ticket for Jan 16th 2013 (I intend to change this at a later date not that I will tell them that) and I will be going there with a canadian female friend so it shouldnt show any redflags. Would you risk it? I dont have to go I just thought it would be nice to get away but if it causes problems its not worth it.

Thanks,

Jen