+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Coming back to Canada on an expired student visa

ShubhamTiwari

Jan 15, 2024
Hello all, My student visa was expired on 31st of December as I didn't had any plans of coming back I didn't go in time. But due to some unfortunate events I have to come back but my Visa is expired but I still have valid work permit till Nov-24. I had a conversation with an agent they told me to go on a Visitor visa but I guess I will not be able to work on it. Please let me know my options. Thank you.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello all, My student visa was expired on 31st of December as I didn't had any plans of coming back I didn't go in time. But due to some unfortunate events I have to come back but my Visa is expired but I still have valid work permit till Nov-24. I had a conversation with an agent they told me to go on a Visitor visa but I guess I will not be able to work on it. Please let me know my options. Thank you.
You need a TRV to enter Canada, not a study or work permit. So do you have a valid TRV. Assume you applied for a PGWP.

ShubhamTiwari

Jan 15, 2024
No, my student visa got expired. Now my agent suggests to get a visitor visa. Will I be able to work there on a visitor visa? I already have a PGWP valid till November 24.

Shmiler

Star Member
Oct 19, 2020
You're getting confused between visas and permits.

You have a PGWP so that is a work permit. You say it is valid until November 2024, therefore you are legally able to work once you're back in Canada.

The Visa is a travel document. Assuming you're from a country that requires a visa to travel to Canada then you'll need to get a visitor (temporary resident) visa in order to travel.

So, in short, you need the VISA to travel. You need the permit (which you already have) to work.

Hope this helps.

ShubhamTiwari

Jan 15, 2024
Thanks for the reply, its clear that I can work once I am back. The confusion is regarding difference in visa's. Like is there any different type of visa or just a Visitor visa is enough for me to work (as I already have a PGWP) and get PR in future.

You're getting confused between visas and permits.

You have a PGWP so that is a work permit. You say it is valid until November 2024, therefore you are legally able to work once you're back in Canada.

The Visa is a travel document. Assuming you're from a country that requires a visa to travel to Canada then you'll need to get a visitor (temporary resident) visa in order to travel.

So, in short, you need the VISA to travel. You need the permit (which you already have) to work.

Hope this helps.

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
Thanks for the reply, its clear that I can work once I am back. The confusion is regarding difference in visa's. Like is there any different type of visa or just a Visitor visa is enough for me to work (as I already have a PGWP) and get PR in future.
When I applied for a TRV under my PGWP, the visa stamped on my passport was a W1 visa. And, yes, I applied for a visitor visa in my gckey.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Did you apply for a PGWP inside or outside Canada? As has been explained a PGWP lets you work in Canada, a TRV or visitor visa let’s you enter Canada.

How long have you worked in Canada if visa expires this year?