+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Coming back Canada (Quebec), citizen with expired RAMQ while Pregnant

orodeshah

Mar 14, 2015
My wife and me, we are both Canadian citizens and had RAMQ cards. We left Canada to take some courses out of Canada, now my wife is pregnant and we are coming back to home (Montreal) since courses are finished and we want to have delivery near family. I have asked this question here in the past, and I know RAMQ covers pregnancy even during waiting period. But when I read stories of couples in Quebec without RAMQ and see their problems, I get frightened. In the past many times I had to leave Quebec and when coming back I renewed my expired RAMQ card and everything was normal and safe. Now that my wife is pregnant I am really worried.

What is going to happen to us? When we are in waiting period do hospitals consider my wife like a normal RAMQ covered patient (when it comes to delivery and pregnancy issues) ? Anyway before due date out waiting period will be finished (fortunately).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My wife and me, we are both Canadian citizens and had RAMQ cards. We left Canada to take some courses out of Canada, now my wife is pregnant and we are coming back to home (Montreal) since courses are finished and we want to have delivery near family. I have asked this question here in the past, and I know RAMQ covers pregnancy even during waiting period. But when I read stories of couples in Quebec without RAMQ and see their problems, I get frightened. In the past many times I had to leave Quebec and when coming back I renewed my expired RAMQ card and everything was normal and safe. Now that my wife is pregnant I am really worried.

What is going to happen to us? When we are in waiting period do hospitals consider my wife like a normal RAMQ covered patient (when it comes to delivery and pregnancy issues) ? Anyway before due date out waiting period will be finished (fortunately).
How long are you going to be in Canada?

orodeshah

Mar 14, 2015
How long are you going to be in Canada?
My wife will stay at least one year or even more, me between 8 months to one year, you are asking this for minimum residency requirment of Ramq. We can stay longer if it is necessary. How long is this Ramq residency obligation and do you have any link for it?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My wife will stay at least one year or even more, me between 8 months to one year, you are asking this for minimum residency requirment of Ramq. We can stay longer if it is necessary. How long is this Ramq residency obligation and do you have any link for it?
Believe it is over 6 months but you’ll need to verify. Essentially a province wants you to likely be a tax resident so you are paying taxes and not only using services.